Making an iOS of unraid

I realize unraidmis designed to rum from a sub, reside in memory, and operate that way by design. I don't particularly care for using thumb drives personally and I'd like to mount it on my proxmox hypervisorlike I can with freeNAS. There was a iOS linked of the forums at one point that was converted from a vhd, but that link is dead. I'd also like to use these at work on our facility NAS boxes and a thumb drive will be a deal killer out the gate. If anyone can assist or send me to a good starting location I'd appreciate it. 

Matt

I scrapped the whole idea, I don't care to pay the fee, but I liked the interface and android support. Besides the UUID's can be changed or spoofed if someone wanted to take the time to do it so I don't see any reason not to allow for installing directly to a SSD/HDD or ISO anyhow.

5 hours ago, Tuvar said:

I scrapped the whole idea, I don't care to pay the fee, but I liked the interface and android support. Besides the UUID's can be changed or spoofed if someone wanted to take the time to do it so I don't see any reason not to allow for installing directly to a SSD/HDD or ISO anyhow.

Many many many have wanted to debate this (which, BTW, is typically interpreted as self serving by the asker). No one has convinced LimeTech it is in their best interest. And not expecting it will change. The USBs each include a hardware ID. It is not able to be changed.

If you are setting up a server, the unRAID license is a very minor cost. And there is never a request for any type of upgrade fee. Certainly your choice, but the cost of admission to unRAID  is well worth it.

-SSD

• Upvote 1

You misunderstand, buying the license isn't the issue. I run Proxmox as a Tier One Hyper-visor and if I run unRAID off of a USB I have to boot into said Thumb drive which means I can't boot up into the Hyper-Visor. I'd need to Visualize it to even use it.

1 hour ago, Tuvar said:

if I run unRAID off of a USB I have to boot into said Thumb drive which means I can't boot up into the Hyper-Visor. I'd need to Visualize it to even use it.

No, you don't technically have to boot off the USB, it just needs to be available and mounted as /boot when unraid starts. Search the forums for virtualizing unraid and you will find some options. It's not a supported mode of operation, but it's not actively blocked either.

What that means is if you have an issue with unraid while running virtualized, you will be asked to replicate the issue in bare metal before official troubleshooting is done. You are welcome to ask questions about the issue in the forums, but not many people run virtualized any more, especially since unraid contains a very nice implementation of KVM for running VM's as guests.