LAST CALL on the Unraid Summer Sale! 😎 ⌛ ×

Magic number of vdisk

Havain

Hello there.

I am, as far as I've read, another of those who accidentally format his drive when Unraid tells them they should. Fortunately, someone recommended me a program called foremost to recover everything and it looks like it's working. Apparently foremost uses these magic numbers to recognize files. But I can't find the magic number of .img which Unraid uses. Someone know about this? I'd like to get my disks intact to continue using Unraid.

It's my understanding that the file unraid creates by default for a VM is a raw file, meaning it's like a blank hard drive. The OS that you install to the VM is responsible for any and all changes of that file.

So, for purposes of file recovery, it's going to look like a full binary copy of a typical hard disk used by the VM's OS, and wouldn't have any specific signature. If you are working with foremost support on this, I''d tell them to look for a master boot record with partition entries corresponding to whatever OS was in that VM, be it a windows or linux or whatever.

1 hour ago, Havain said:

I am, as far as I've read, another of those who accidentally format his drive when Unraid tells them they should.

Did you mean to type when Unraid tells them they shouldn't?

The warning on the format option is very clear that it will erase all data, and can NOT be used to recover files.

Archived