[Closed/Deprecated] unRaid HP Proliant Edition - RMRR Error Patching

For the new/current method, see here: 

information provided below this line is for archival purposes only.

------------------------------------------

First the disclaimer: This has been tested on a couple systems with no negative attributes obsererved. As it only omits RMRR checks, it should not affect any other core function of the OS. But as a general notice, and since this is an unofficial modification, neither Limetech or myself are responsible/liable for any loss of data or damage to hardware in using this patched version of unRaid.

unRaid HP Proliant Edition - RMRR Error Patching

Description/Problem

It is well documented that HP Proliant servers have RMRR issues using certain BIOS versions after about 2011 when trying to passthrough devices in a linux environment. Device passthrough fails and the onscreen error will show:

vfio: failed to set iommu for container: Operation not permitted

And a look further into the logs show:

Device is ineligible for IOMMU domain attach due to platform RMRR requirement.  Contact your platform vendor.

HP is aware of this problem and is not updating older machines. There are some bios options to try to fix this on newer models with some success.

This "edition" of unRaid addresses the problem by patching out the RMRR check.

Creation/Sources

This edition is based on the work of several others, and full credit is due to them.

First is the source of the patch code itself from the Promox forums:

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/tutorial-compile-proxmox-ve-5-with-patched-intel-iommu-driver-to-remove-rmrr-check.36374/ 

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/hp-proliant-microserver-gen8-raidcontroller-hp-p410-passthrough-probleme.30547/

The second is @kabloomy, who first thought to try, and then successfully created a working edition using a modified DVB edition compiling script on 6.4.1.

And last but not least, is the modified script currently used for compiling provided by the totally awesome @CHBMB (Thank you!!!)

@AnnabellaRenee87 has become a maintainer for the patch along with me and is doing most of the heavy lifting at this time.

[If you wish to compile the kernel yourself, the most recent script is located here: https://github.com/AnnabellaRenee87/Unraid-HP-Proliant-Edition The patch is compiled into the new version of unRaid. Only the bzimage file from the output is needed.

Installation

This patch is currently operational for unRaid 6.6.0+

1. Download the patched bzimge from https://github.com/AnnabellaRenee87/Unraid-HP-Proliant-Edition

2. Navigate to your server's flash folder

3. Make a backup copy of your current bzimage to your desktop or rename current to bzimage-old or similar

4. Move the patched bzimage to flash folder

5. Reboot

Uninstall

Replace the patched bzimage with the backup copy you made or download a copy of a standard matching version of the unRaid bzimage 

Updated bzimages should be made available within a few days of official unRaid versions releases.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

note: RC's aren't always done since they can come out from Limetech at a fast pace. If you have a specific need and it's not here, message me or @AnnabellaRenee87

The most current patch available will be located at https://github.com/AnnabellaRenee87/Unraid-HP-Proliant-Edition. Patches for older unRaid versions can be found below. 

bzimage

bzimage

bzimage

6.6.4 - withdrawn by Limetech due to cron issues

bzimage

bzimage

6.7.0 rc3

Unraid RMRR Patched 6.7rc3.zip

6.7.0 rc4

6.7.0-rc4-rmrr-patch.zip

6.7.0 rc5

6.7.0rc5RMRRpatch.zip

6.7.0 rc6

6.7.0rc6 RMRR Patch.zip

6.7.0 rc7 (thanks to @AnnabellaRenee87 for this one!)

6.7.0rc7 RMRR patch.zip

6.7.0 rc8 (again, thanks to @AnnabellaRenee87

6.7.0rc8 rmrr patch.zip

6.7.0 final (again, again, thanks to @AnnabellaRenee87)

6.7.0 RMRR patch.zip

Other Proliant Problems

Check this thread for fixes to other common Proliant problems: https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/59375-hp-proliant-unraid-information-thread/

Happy unRaiding!

rmrr-patch-kernel-compile-module.sh bzimage

Edited by 1812
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
39 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

Sure you don't mean v6.5.3?

?

9 minutes ago, AnnabellaRenee87 said:

Everything is perfect except unassigned drives complaining its not a supported version of unRAID.

can you send me your logs? I'll check for this in mine as well. Hadn't noticed..

2 hours ago, AnnabellaRenee87 said:

Let me know if this works, don't think LimeTech enabled the option for Tapatalk to allow .zip files.
Tapatalk offered to host it. emoji848.pnghttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5b42808de34ca/server-diagnostics-20180708-1720.zip

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Am I missing something? All I see for unsupported is

ul  4 18:32:42 Server root: # unRAID plugin wrapper for extra packages, mostly CLI, for advanced
Jul  4 18:32:42 Server root: # users.  Use at your own risk. Not officially supported by LimeTech.

and also a bunch of unassigned devices invalid mounts

Jul  5 18:44:37 Server unassigned.devices: Removing configuration '//WIN-EMBEDED/Logs'.
Jul  5 18:45:30 Server unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//WIN-EMBEDED/logs' using SMB1 protocol.
Jul  5 18:45:30 Server kernel: Status code returned 0xc000006d NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
Jul  5 18:45:30 Server kernel: CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13
Jul  5 18:45:30 Server kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13
Jul  5 18:45:30 Server unassigned.devices: Mount SMB/NFS command: mount -t cifs -o rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,_netdev,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,sec=ntlm,vers=1.0,username=xxx=******* '//WIN-EMBEDED/logs' '/mnt/disks/WIN-EMBEDED_logs'
Jul  5 18:45:30 Server unassigned.devices: Mount of '//WIN-EMBEDED/logs' failed. Error message: mount error(13): Permission denied Refer to the 

but I believe you had that before the patch.

Also, there is a fix for this: Jul  5 18:49:26 Server kernel: ACPI Error: SMBus/IPMI/GenericSerialBus write requires Buffer of length 66, found length 32 (20170728/exfield-427) in the proliant info thread (modifying the go file)

I got the unassigned devices thing sorted out, had to make a new user account in that VM for it to finally work.

I added the text for my SMBus problem too.

Here is what I'm talking about.

image.thumb.png.db25bbc21d1d8c8ac1890a4e27907813.png

PS, while the Server's array was down I turned on IPv6.......... Not an important thing to bring up I suppose :P

Oh yeah, here are the current logs.

server-diagnostics-20180708-2026.zip

Edited by AnnabellaRenee87
12 hours ago, AnnabellaRenee87 said:

I got the unassigned devices thing sorted out, had to make a new user account in that VM for it to finally work.

I added the text for my SMBus problem too.

Here is what I'm talking about.

image.thumb.png.db25bbc21d1d8c8ac1890a4e27907813.png

PS, while the Server's array was down I turned on IPv6.......... Not an important thing to bring up I suppose :P

Oh yeah, here are the current logs.

server-diagnostics-20180708-2026.zip

I get the same error and failure to install. Hopefully @gfjardim can provide some insight?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, gfjardim said:

Very strange, since unRAID 6.5.3 gcc version is 7.3.0. Are you using any custom builds, like @CHBMB DVB?

Yes, welcome to the Proliant custom build! Are there incompatibilities with the DVB version and the plugin as well, or is this a new thing?

Just now, 1812 said:

Yes, welcome to the Proliant custom build! Are there incompatibilities with the DVB version and the plugin as well, or is this a new thing?

Just read the post, and the problem is that @1812 is compiling the kernel against GCC version 8.1.1 instead of compiling it agains GCC version 7.3.0, the default version for unRAID 6.5.3. Will take a look to see if this can be fixed without broke all systems that use official releases.

8 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

I thought Unraid was built against slackware-current?

The script will pull the current version of gcc and all other deps from slackware-current at build time.

Not always because LT doesn't update it's build machine environment every time, I think.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2018 at 6:52 PM, 1812 said:

unRaid HP Proliant Edition - RMRR Error Patching

I am awesome

Yes you are, I've been putting off looking at this stuff for so long as it looks way out of my depth and I could see it would involve recompiling the kernel. Thank you so much for this!!!

6 minutes ago, Stee said:

Yes you are, I've been putting off looking at this stuff for so long as it looks way out of my depth and I could see it would involve recompiling the kernel. Thank you so much for this!!!

It's new to me still, but I enjoy learning and had some great help!

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, AnnabellaRenee87 said:

I assume we'll need an updated patch for 6.6 RC 1?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah, give me a few days and I'll send it to you for testing (as my current hp hardware doesn't have the rmrr error since I decommissioned the the dl580's)

also, I got a call trace on my ml30 gen9 after upgrading (it doesn't need the rmrr patch), but I sort of want to wait and see what that is all about.

edit---

it also appears that there are disappearing gui issues and problems editing vm's after upgrading th the RC... so maybe best to wait for rc 2 or so... @AnnabellaRenee87

Edited by 1812
  • Like 1