X399 motherboard it87 driver for temps

• 1 month later...

It looks like all Ryzen/TR boards utilise either it87 or nct6775.

https://linuxconfig.org/monitor-amd-ryzen-temperatures-in-linux-with-latest-kernel-modules

ASRock is using nct6775 (at least on my board), so I've had temp support from the beginning on my X399 Taichi.

Not sure if there's any fundamental difference between sensor types.

Edited by tjb_altf4
1 hour ago, PSYCHOPATHiO said:

@testdasi modprobe it87 force_id=0x8620

this works for my Asus prime x370 AM4 socket, but with the new update i no longer need to use it, perhaps the devs can add the driver by the neext update for the x399

@testdasi FYI, that's the same one I use on my TR board. I've updated to 6.6.0-rc1, and found that I still need this. it works!  I don't need the modprobe line anymore, I was mistaken in my initial response. 

Edited by Jcloud
re-tested found what I wrote was wrong.
  • Upvote 1
On 9/4/2018 at 8:35 PM, Jcloud said:

@testdasi FYI, that's the same one I use on my TR board. I've updated to 6.6.0-rc1, and found that I still need this. it works!  I don't need the modprobe line anymore, I was mistaken in my initial response. 

This is no longer working in 6.6 RC2

removed CONFIG_SENSORS_IT87: ITE IT87xx and compatibles

it87: version 20180709 groeck Linux Driver for ITE LPC chips (https://github.com/groeck/it87)

I Checked the Repo, and it no longer exists.

I have gone back to using this command

modprobe it87 force_id=0x8620

Please fix.

On 9/5/2018 at 2:35 AM, Jcloud said:

Have you tried rc2? Not sure if that means they removed it?

Linux kernel:

• version 4.18.6
  • removed OOT Intel ixgbe and ixgbevf, restored in-tree drivers:
    • CONFIG_IXGBE: Intel(R) 10GbE PCI Express adapters support
    • CONFIG_IXGBEVF: Intel(R) 10GbE PCI Express Virtual Function Ethernet support
  • removed OOT groeck Linux Driver for ITE LPC chips, restored in-tree driver:
    • CONFIG_SENSORS_IT87: ITE IT87xx and compatibles
5 hours ago, methanoid said:

Have you tried rc2? Not sure if that means they removed it?

Yeah I'm on RC2, as of yesterday, the OOT module is gone.  Without modprobe line system found two temperature sensors, which is more than before.  I've un-commentated my modprobe line in go file again (for fan sensor), and called it good, it seems to have the correct off-set, as far as I can tell.

• 1 month later...

I know, that the maintainer dropped the support for the driver, because Asus does not like linux.

I mean, is there a way to update only some parts of UNRAID to get some of the new features such as new GUI and have the old OOT IT87 driver working?

Or have anyone tested it with the latest Unraid? I will most probably try to compile the driver for myself, just to see how much pain is it.

Edited by Maor
  • 3 weeks later...

So I tried to compile it myself from this repo: https://github.com/a1wong/it87.git (in Ubuntu forums people claim it working with kernel 4.18)

I installed make, gcc, dkms

Still having this issue 

make: error while loading shared libraries: libguile-2.2.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

where do I get the libguile for unraid?

attached list of packages I have installed

pkg.txt

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that the ITE chip is connected to the ISA bridge. Unraid did not allowed me to pass ISA bridge, since it is not an endpoint device. Also I believe, that bios would lost access to the chip, so the bios fan controll would be broken with passthrough.

I will probably build an arduino fan tachometer, if this is not resolved, but interfacing arduino with Unraid would be problem, I have no idea how to make a plugin, so the functionality would be limited to userscripts.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2018 at 8:12 PM, Maor said:

I believe that the ITE chip is connected to the ISA bridge. Unraid did not allowed me to pass ISA bridge, since it is not an endpoint device. Also I believe, that bios would lost access to the chip, so the bios fan controll would be broken with passthrough.

I will probably build an arduino fan tachometer, if this is not resolved, but interfacing arduino with Unraid would be problem, I have no idea how to make a plugin, so the functionality would be limited to userscripts.

I don't get it. You're saying you'd pass the sensor to Windows to read temp, and use the arduino to make up for the sensor's disconnection from the BIOS?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, 

Hoping somebody can help please? I have just upgraded from an I7-3770 to an AMD 2950X on a Gigabyte X399 Designare EX with Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3 AMD TR Cooler

I am getting readings of high 80's with the dynamix plugin but can't be sure it is correct? the heatsink is cool and the heatpipes are only warm to the touch.  When in the Bios the CPU Temp is approx 36-40 so not sure if I have an issue or my readings are incorrect?  Can anyone offer any advice please?

Thank You!

image.png.68524256c6f43d7d6f327d0ec6c301bb.png

image.png.3f888e2f1d31a17196c4f1ed56a85cf7.png

@mbc0 The Tctl has an offset of 27°C on top of the actual Tdie temperature. The correct temps are Tdie. Depending on the board and the BIOS version, the temps are shown differently. Choose the Tdie instead and you're good.

temp.png.a890e5cb163987077d4b8b177482f198.png

Maybe try to load another driver.

• 1. Unload the current driver
  • 2. Type in "nct6775" in the available driver section
  • 3. hit save, load the driver and check if more options come up