Cant Run Unraid Sandisk 32gb Ultra Fit

I getting frustrated

I have 2 brand new  Sandisk  Ultra Fit 32gb   I used the unraid maker program  I tried doing the download  and the Zip file..  I even tried the run as administrator make bootable

doesn't work with a damn each time computer boots up says no bootable disk.  

same with my vertabatim  32 gig

I don't have issue with my Lexar 16gb...  it seems that the 32gigs don't work  or what?

whats the fix for this... I tried it on my usb ports 2 3.0 3.1  ports  but none worked still wont boot

its it a 32gb issue

and its also in fat32 mode

5 hours ago, comet424 said:

I getting frustrated

I have 2 brand new  Sandisk  Ultra Fit 32gb   I used the unraid maker program  I tried doing the download  and the Zip file..  I even tried the run as administrator make bootable

See this Post

A 32GB Stick "should" work - but thats the limit at the moment...

Have you executed the make_bootable.bat "directly on the stick"?

This is necessary to make the stick working correct - and use "only" USB2.0-Ports!

FileSystem must be FAT32

If this is a new installation, extract the zip-file and copy the content to the USB-stick, then execute the makebootable directly on the stick - should work because i do this "always" in this way - by the way, the volume lable for the USB-stick must be UNRAID

Here again the procedure:

https://lime-technology.com/wiki/USB_Flash_Drive_Preparation

Windows Vista and Windows 7

Step 1 Plug the Flash into your PC and re-format it using Windows (Right-Click the Flash under Computer and select Format

• For File system, leave it as Default (FAT32)
  • For Volume label, enter UNRAID (exactly 6 capital letters)
  • Check the Quick Format box and click Start

If you determine that the Windows formatting did not succeed in creating a bootable USB drive, then see the Advanced tips at the bottom.

Step 2 Download the latest unRAID Server, and extract the files from the zip archive to your Flash.

Step 3 On the Flash drive, Right-Click on make_bootable.bat and select Run as administrator. Press any key to continue.

Step 4 The process takes only a moment to complete. You can then close any open windows and eject the Flash drive.

Edited by Zonediver

so as I wrote above I did run the the make bootable as administrator

I used the program unRAID.USB.Creator.Win32 both  download mode and extra the zip file  to install it  if I install to 16gb no trouble    32gig no goo.. I don't think you can run this program on a 32

bios sees UEFI  or plan SanDisk... tried one way reboot  no go flipped it around rebooted and still says install a bootable device...

ill try those steps  

reason I picked the sandisk ultra fit 32gb  is its a sandisk recommended   its a ultrafit  so you cant break it off as I read that article last week about using ultra fit …  and wanted 5 yr warrenty    but cant get it in 16gig... that or ill have to get internal usb adapter  to plug a usb insie the computer and get a 16 gb version

but ill try those steps you posted and see if that works..

maybe the OS  cant see 32 gigs properly?

8 minutes ago, comet424 said:

so as I wrote above I did run the the make bootable as administrator

I used the program unRAID.USB.Creator.Win32 both  download mode and extra the zip file  to install it  if I install to 16gb no trouble    32gig no goo.. I don't think you can run this program on a 32

bios sees UEFI  or plan SanDisk... tried one way reboot  no go flipped it around rebooted and still says install a bootable device...

ill try those steps  

reason I picked the sandisk ultra fit 32gb  is its a sandisk recommended   its a ultrafit  so you cant break it off as I read that article last week about using ultra fit …  and wanted 5 yr warrenty    but cant get it in 16gig... that or ill have to get internal usb adapter  to plug a usb insie the computer and get a 16 gb version

but ill try those steps you posted and see if that works..

maybe the OS  cant see 32 gigs properly?

Have you checked, if the Stick has a FAT32 Filesystem on it?

Edited by Zonediver

ya it was defaulted  Fat32  I did quick format  this also happens same issue  on my 3 Vertabatium 32gb  

so it seems they don't like 32gb maybe?  I going to see if anything in the bios I can change

seems to happen on my other boards

I have 3  Asus ROG boards and it doesn't allow to boot off non of them  just 16 gig  go figure

3 minutes ago, comet424 said:

ya it was defaulted  Fat32  I did quick format  this also happens same issue  on my 3 Vertabatium 32gb  

so it seems they don't like 32gb maybe?  I going to see if anything in the bios I can change

seems to happen on my other boards

I have 3  Asus ROG boards and it doesn't allow to boot off non of them  just 16 gig  go figure

As far as i know, the 32GB is the max. limit - its possible, that the stick is a little bit larger then 32GB.

Try to get this 16GB Stick:

https://geizhals.eu/kingston-datatraveler-se9-16gb-dtse9h-16gb-a724976.html

Edited by Zonediver

ah I guess eh... the actual gigb   is smaller then the vertatibim  its 29.9gb    the sandisk ultra is 28.6gb  

go figure eh...    and to think 32gb isn't really 32gb 

probably limited at say 27gb and up

how well is that Kingston one?  reason I liked ultra fit came with 5 yr warrenty too

5 minutes ago, comet424 said:

ah I guess eh... the actual gigb   is smaller then the vertatibim  its 29.9gb    the sandisk ultra is 28.6gb  

go figure eh...    and to think 32gb isn't really 32gb 

probably limited at say 27gb and up

how well is that Kingston one?  reason I liked ultra fit came with 5 yr warrenty too

5 Years as well for the Kingston ;-)

One of the reason of troubles can be, that the SanDisk is a USB3.0 stick - the Kingston is a USB2.0 stick.

Squid told me, that he use the Kingston sticks with no problems at all.

Edited by Zonediver
3 hours ago, Zonediver said:

I dont know exactly, why unraid is limited to 32GB or less - but it is - at the moment ;-)

Technically you are not limited to 32GB.     The reason that figure is quoted is that the USB stick has to be formatted to FAT32 and Windows does not know how to format larger drives to FAT32.   There are plenty of 3rd party utilities that can do this if you want to use a larger drive.   However there is not much point as unRAID will not be making use of extra space, and even a 16GB USB drive is overkill from a space perspective when using unRAID.

4 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Technically you are not limited to 32GB.     The reason that figure is quoted is that the USB stick has to be formatted to FAT32 and Windows does not know how to format larger drives to FAT32.   There are plenty of 3rd party utilities that can do this if you want to use a larger drive.   However there is not much point as unRAID will not be making use of extra space, and even a 16GB USB drive is overkill from a space perspective when using unRAID.

Ah - yes - i remember FAT32 goes only up to 32GB under Windows ;-)

And yes, unraid uses 395MB on the stick - but try to get a "small" USB-stick.... no way.

I hope the Devs will correct this soon.... not funny to search for a 8-16GB stick...

Edited by Zonediver

ah  I used 32gig as it was cheaper to buy then 16gb and I got a 5 yr warrenty

I even resized  the 32 down to 4gb  and formatted to FAT  not FAT32  and that still didn't work.

I got another 16gb Lexar  off my sister and that booted fine. and that's formatted at 32.. im guessing it has to be the 32gig size

and I also wanted the ultra fit as its tiny you cant break it off  but I may get a internal usb adapter  

2 minutes ago, comet424 said:

ah  I used 32gig as it was cheaper to buy then 16gb and I got a 5 yr warrenty

I even resized  the 32 down to 4gb  and formatted to FAT  not FAT32  and that still didn't work.

I got another 16gb Lexar  off my sister and that booted fine. and that's formatted at 32.. im guessing it has to be the 32gig size

and I also wanted the ultra fit as its tiny you cant break it off  but I may get a internal usb adapter  

It might be a controller issue on the stick - some 32GB-sticks are devided into 2x16GB.

4 minutes ago, comet424 said:

I have a 512mb  usb still I should try lol  

so you mean this untra fit is probably 1 32gb chip then  as you can see my link how small that puppy is lol

ya be nice if it was fixed easily  

Use this Ultra-Fit with 16GB - works too.

I have a spare, if my Lexar 8GB dies - unraid boots from this.

But i will buy a Kingston because its USB2.0 and doesnt get hot.

Edited by Zonediver
4 minutes ago, comet424 said:

ya reason I bought the 32 ultra fit   is its cheaper then the ultra fit 16    20 bucks for the 32gb  32 bucks for the 16gb

oh the usb 3s get hot?

Yep - hot - sometimes very hot - even if the stick dign't do anything. Not the best stick on the market...

Again, use a USB2.0-stick >> Kingston for example.

Edited by Zonediver

go figure eh.. always something   and what version  you guys running  the unlimited which isn't really unlimited  its 28 drives lol  I plan to run  like 2 unraids or 4  

2 at my house 2 at my sisters house....

both will have mediaservers  and then I have old  Acer H340s with 2gb ram on them 4 bay drives  so I wanna back up  the more important data off the media server.  

it just sucks  the h340s when filled with 4 drives gets hot even running in the basement lol