Supermicro x5dae works with UNRAID

bbrodka

Just reporting a Supermicro x5dae Motherboarsd works with UNRAID (v5.0 b2)

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/E7505/X5DAE.cfm

bios ver 1.3b

It has one querk, it will not boot from USB via the back USB ports (near PS2 KB connector), but it does boot ok via USB using the motherboard USB connector labeled FBUSB2/3 (figuring this out drove me crazy)

Current configuration

Dual Intel Xeon 3.2 GHz

6 GB ram

3 x 64-bit PCI-X expansion slots which  I currently have 2 Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 8 Channel 300MB/S Per Channel 64 Bit Pci-X Interface Serial ATA Adapters installed  - with plans for a 3rd

in a Norco 4020 20 drive case

Currently with 7 1gb drives parity running in the upper 50s almost twice the speed as same hardware on old motherboard which only used PCI slots

It's a beast!

heh!!  ;D

I love the supermicro server boards.

I have a board like this (X5DA8) in an unused computer if anyone is interested.

I also have 3.2 or LV 2.4 Xeons and memory.

I would love to give it to an unRAIDer!

Does the board have pci-x slots? If it does I would be very interested in it as I have a couple of the Supermicro pci-x 8 port sata cards. I've been itching to resurrect my unRaid box. Why don't you send me a PM on how much you would want for the board, cpu's & the memory.

Thanks a bunch.

Phil

PhilH, Just one note:

Get a big power supply, I used this board as my workstation for years, and blew (cheap) power supplies left and right, it was fine with a 500 watt one (Mad Dog), and I'm hoping my current 750 w Corsair PS holds up as I keep adding drive (my goal is 20 lol) but drives consume less power now a days then they did back then

PhilH, Just one note:

Get a big power supply, I used this board as my workstation for years, and blew (cheap) power supplies left and right, it was fine with a 500 watt one (Mad Dog), and I'm hoping my current 750 w Corsair PS holds up as I keep adding drive (my goal is 20 lol) but drives consume less power now a days then they did back then

I have a Corsair TX650W & also a Corsair VX550W. In the server I'm running now I have both of them installed. The 650 for the motherboard & the first I think 11 drives & the 550 on the remainder of the drives. I hope that would be enough power for this board. :)

heh!!  ;D

I love the supermicro server boards.

I have a board like this (X5DA8) in an unused computer if anyone is interested.

I also have 3.2 or LV 2.4 Xeons and memory.

I would love to give it to an unRAIDer!

Does the board have pci-x slots? If it does I would be very interested in it as I have a couple of the Supermicro pci-x 8 port sata cards. I've been itching to resurrect my unRaid box. Why don't you send me a PM on how much you would want for the board, cpu's & the memory.

Thanks a bunch.

Phil

I'll get back to you in a couple days.

I have to take it out of the machine, double check it and get it ready to ship.

The board can handle LV XEONS.  Swap out those 2 3.2's for a single LV xeon, and it will allevaite the power draw.

FWIW, I had 6 drives on my 3.2 with 2GB of ram. at boot it was 160W. It would idle down between 90 & 120. During heavy processing it would jump to 300W.

I used a seasonic 600w S12.

The LV xeons use less power and create less heat.

I have a pair of LV 2.0 ghz and LV 2.4ghz, plus a pair of the 3.2's.

Thanks a bunch WeeboTech.

I'll be waiting to hear back from you. I've never had the chance to play with xeon processors, but I have always wanted to. :)

The draw isn't a hell of a lot more than a couple of P4 computers. I have 2 of them on one UPS & it shows the power draw at 359 watts.

I've gotta get newer tech one of these days to save on the power bill. lol