6TB SAS Drive not detected

Having some issues with some drive upgrades.  I have 8 SAS drives currently installed, mixed 2TB and 3TB WD drives. I need to start some upgrades so wanted to replaced my 3TB Parity drive with a brand new 6TB Seagate SAS drive I have.

Trouble shooting:

Unit originally used two Super Micro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 cards (4 drives per). I have also tested with a LSI SAS 9300-8i. No luck. The cards see all the 2 and 3 TB drives but not the 6.

I have also tested with another brand new Seagate 6TB drive I have, same result, not detected.

Using unRaid 6.5.1

Using Norco 5x3 cages, but doubt that is an issue.

Any help on where to go from here be appreciated.

So, something else is going on. This server is normally run headless, so we yanked it out and attached it to a KVM. Got into the SAS controller config util, and it doesn't even see the 6TB drive, so it isn't an issue with unRaid but either both drives or the 5x3 cage. Would an older system have anything to do with it perhaps?

You'd think. :) I cannot connect direct to the controller. It has min SAS connectors to fan out cables for connecting to the drive cages. I'm bringing in another motherboard tomorrow to test. I checked the website on it, a TA870U3 and the highest size drive they show support for is 4TB... weird. 

Think we have isolated the issue, but no clue why. The 3TB drives are 5V .7A and 12V .66A. These new 6TB are 5V .85A and 12V .99A. After a few minutes of the system being powered up, we pulled the drive and sure enough, it's not even powered on. So, it looks like these Norco cages that run off two Molex power plugs cannot deliver enough power. I'm wondering if I should now try a different 3x5 cage...

I think you may have an issue with pin 3 on the power connector - newer disks uses it to allow the controller to reboot hung disks.

If this signal has the wrong state, then the drive will not spin up. Several HDD manufacturers have multiple article numbers for drives that supports this signal or ignores it - just to maintain compatibility with existing back planes.

6 minutes ago, pwm said:

I think you may have an issue with pin 3 on the power connector - newer disks uses it to allow the controller to reboot hung disks.

If this signal has the wrong state, then the drive will not spin up. Several HDD manufacturers have multiple article numbers for drives that supports this signal or ignores it - just to maintain compatibility with existing back planes.

So, would this be an issue with the Norco 3x5 cage no processing this properly to the drive? I tried different power cables and connectors on the PSU (modular). I am also bringing in a different power supply tomorrow, just in case.

19 minutes ago, pwm said:

I don't know what the Norco cages does with that signal.

You could consider taping that signal on the connector and see if the drives spins up.

See also this thread:

Thanks very much! That was exactly the issue. Just taped off pin 3 and sure enough, the drive powered up right away. Least I know what we are dealing with now.