Is it possible to have two shares viewed as one

I am thinking about trying Unraid. If I have a share called movies ts that spans disks 1-3 and a share movies mp4 on disk 5 at times view those two shares together but keep the files on the assigned disks. So basically have Casablanca.ts and Casablanca.mp4 in a folder together on a third share. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

12 hours ago, bapw said:

I am thinking about trying Unraid. If I have a share called movies ts that spans disks 1-3 and a share movies mp4 on disk 5 at times view those two shares together but keep the files on the assigned disks. So basically have Casablanca.ts and Casablanca.mp4 in a folder together on a third share. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

Give more details of what you are trying to accomplish. @itimpi is correct that each user share is autonomous, something like plex can include multiple folders (user shares) in a single library. There is also the possibility of viewing the entire array as a single logical folder. Clarify your use case and there may be a solution.

I am trying to pick the best copy of movies so I would like the ability to have them appear in the same folder. These movies were recorded at different times, in different formats and hd and sd. I will keep the best one and delete the others. It would just be so much easier if they could all appear in the same folder for easier comparison. If necessary I would have them all part of movies and reside on the same disk. Would symlinks work?

I would suggest you install Plex. Add both user shares to a single Plex library.

Plex will do an absolutely amazing thing. It will not touch any of your files or directories, but nonetheless figure out what the movies are, download artwork, and basically do in 2 minutes what you'd spend hours to days (depending on your media library size) trying to do. You will wind up with a nicely organized Web page with all of your movies. Click to play in Web browser, and Plex is supported by lots of media players and TVs.

Plex uses filenames and probably embedded metadata to figure out what the video is. It has a recommended directory structure, but unleash it on your directories that have movies and, if yours is like mine, it will pick up and identify movies with very high accuracy.

Plex supports many media formats (only significant one missing is .ISO, because it is not a streaming format). See below.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/203824396-what-media-formats-are-supported/

Any movie where there are multiple copies it will show a number in a number overlay on the Movie image (2 means 2 versions, 3 means 3 versions) etc.

You can pick which version to watch and then decide which to keep.

I am not sure if Plex gives you the ability to physically delete a movie version you don't want. (It looks like it will delete a whole movie, but not just one version. Might do more research and figure if it can delete a version).

But if you keep track of which ones to keep vs delete. Once you delete a version, Plex will update and the little number will disappear.

(Note Emby is a similar tool to Plex and probably has a similar feature, but I use Plex and not sure).

Highly recommended.

I use Plex. I record movies in Plex all the time. Thanks for all your suggestions. I use a Shield Pro 2017 to record and then copy from that hard drive to my computer hard drives for such things as ccextraction and so that disk does not get filled up. I have files over very many computers and internal and external hard drives. I am looking for the best system so all is under one system. Unfortunately my current desktop pc would not work for Unraid as it has only space for two internal drives and I want to get away from so many externals. I am looking into getting a new desktop and then try Unraid with vms and if that does not work then try something such as Drivepool or Drive Bender and just use the Windows OS. I am trying Drivebender on a small scale and it is nice to be able combine two disk into one and then just move the files from one folder to another without copying. That is what I am hoping from Unraid.

• 2 years later...

Old thread I know, but thought I would respond that what the OP is trying to do is technically possible. I'm looking to do something similar and found a way, but still testing to see if there are any downsides. I have reasons that I need to keep my mp3 and flac files separate, but I don't want users have to navigate down separate trees to see albums by the same artist. Following Spaceinvader One's video How to setup a root share in unRAID, 1 share to rule them all! 2 Minute Tips Ep 02, I was able to use that infomation to solve this problem. Here is what I did:

1. Create a share called "Music" and set to one drive (disk1)

2. In that share, create at least one folder. I use folders with single letters and then put artists under those, e.g. "A\ABBA", or "B\Brahms". So, I just created the folder "A"

3. Edit the share and set it to a different drive (disk2)

4. Open the share and create a different folder, e.g. "B"
5. Edit the share and set it to both drives and make it read only.

6. Under Settings\SMB I added the following under "Samba extra configuration"

[MP3]
path = /mnt/disk1/Music
comment =
browseable = no
# Public
public = yes
writeable = yes
vfs objects =
[Flac]
path = /mnt/disk2/Music
comment =
browseable = no
# Public
public = yes
writeable = yes
vfs objects =

This creates two new shares that are hidden, but writable. User can go to the "Music" share to brows and play any music (MP3 or Flac). But, to write new files I would have to go to the MP3 or Flac shares created through the SMB settings.