Any news on 6.6?

11 hours ago, jonp said:

In short, communicating every issue we run into as we work on a new release benefits no one. 

The problem here is that it has been almost silent for over two months - which is also a reason why worried people have posted in the "relocation" thread wondering if something went wrong with the move.

No reason to post continuous updates about percentages etc, but some form of feedback that all is well and that there are staff still working for the company.

The problem here is that it has been almost silent for over two months - which is also a reason why worried people have posted in the "relocation" thread wondering if something went wrong with the move.

No reason to post continuous updates about percentages etc, but some form of feedback that all is well and that there are staff still working for the company.
Fair enough, but at the same time, there are posts from us on the forum in that time frame. Just nothing about the next release. Some OSes go for much longer without updates, so I'm not sure if calling this a "problem" is really appropriate.

I guess I'd like to know what you'd want us to communicate about if it's not in relation to a release?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, jonp said:

Fair enough, but at the same time, there are posts from us on the forum in that time frame. Just nothing about the next release. Some OSes go for much longer without updates, so I'm not sure if calling this a "problem" is really appropriate.

You had a post August 14.

Before that one July 25.

Before that a number of posts July 16.

Tom hasn't made a post since July 1.

Before that two posts June 13.

eschultz has 4 posts between June 23 and August 18. So also quite silent.

All in all quite silent, and not all visitors reads all subforum so some people are likely to have seen zero posts in 6-8 weeks.

42 minutes ago, jonp said:

I guess I'd like to know what you'd want us to communicate about if it's not in relation to a release?

What you communicate isn't really that important - just some short pings now and then. Just so people see that if they get problems with keys or similar, then there is a clear indication that there is someone "home" that can help even if the previous key replacement was less than 12 months ago or in case some new user never got their key.

I would much rather have the developers focus their efforts developing and testing each update/upgrade then replying to impatient people in the forums because if they did, they would never get any work done.  It takes time to develop and test things and if they rushed every new update every time a new kernel or patch is released, everyone would cry about the bugs and issues that arise from that.  Microsoft rushes out patches/new features to even us in the enterprise all the time.  I can't tell you how many times Microsoft released a feature update or patch only to have them break a critical feature or operation and to have to recall the patch/feature until they can patch the patch.  

There is no such thing as perfect software and anything new will bring with bugs and issues, but I appreciate that LimeTech takes their time try and iron out bugs and waits a little bit until the bugs in new kernels and updates are corrected, as QEMU, KVM, and Linux kernels are open source code and not proprietary to LimeTech. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018 at 1:21 AM, jonp said:

After a week or two of hard work in our personal lives, it is so "comforting" to know that there are "updates"!!! when we check for them in the weekend.😊

The feeling of progress & that something is getting better & better is euphoric!

Also those of us who work in teams, would be quite used to asking each other every time about have far they have progressed

& how as a team we are today (Morning sync-up meeting).

Looks to me like we end up unknowingly or virtually considering the Unraid devs as a subset of our team albeit a subset which has those niche skills,

They seem to do great things, the internals of which we may not know, but we are still curious about.

And in organizations, those who "ask" around are often better informed & avoid lots of rework.

Perhaps that psychology reflects here in this forum 🙋‍♂️..

Just my 2 cents..

update.png

Edited by Shinobi