MyMediaForAlexa docker

My unRaid is 6.3.5. I'll upgrade that as a start then!

Once I've done that I'll give it another try and report back. Thanks :)

EDIT:

After the upgrade I have it installed and working now, thanks.

However, it is constantly stopping and I keep having to restart the docker.

Any suggestions?

Edited by be4con
More info added, rather than double post
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, be4con said:

I've not been able to resolve the issue I was having and the container stops spontaneously all the time. Is there anyone who can help me work through this to resolve it?

If the app is crashing and you cannot identify the cause then you need to contact MyMediaForAlexa support for help as they are the authors of the software and producers of the container.   They are closed source binaries so it is unlikely anyone else can help unless the problem is obvious.  

The app will be writing log file(s)  to it’s appdata Folder (by default this at /mnt/user/appdata/MyMediaForAlexa) so you might want to look at a log file there after a crash to see if anything stands out.   You can also download the latest logs via the Admin option.   If nothing stands out you could try attaching them here to see if anyone can spot anything.  

The only time I have seen crashes is when there was problems with specific albums in my library (I assume they were corrupt).  This became obvious as the crash would always happen at the same point during the scanning process.  By perusing the log file I was able to identify the problem albums and correct the issues.   Since then the container has been completely stable.

If you cannot see any cause then raise a support request on the MyMediaForAlexa web site attaching the log files.   Let us know when/if the issue is resolved

Edited by itimpi
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, isrdude said:

itimpi......How did you get the iTunes XML set up?  I easily downloaded app via CA and pointed the app to my library, but can't get past the XML setup so I can configure the console....Thanks in advance

I do not use iTunes in conjunction with this container so cannot really give you any guidance.   I simply point it at my music and audiobooks libraries that are held directly on unRAID (outside iTunes) and go from there.  I configure the MyMediaForAlexa admin using the WebUI option available from the menu shown when you click on the running containers icon on the UnRAID docker tab.   The only time I use iTunes (on Windows) is to copy music/audiobook files onto an iOS device,   I do not use iTunes to store my media.

If you are holding your iTunes library on your unRAID server, what software are you using to act as the iTunes server on UnRAID?   I could try setting that up on my own system to see if I can get it working.

Edited by itimpi

That may be the issue as I have been trying to point to the xml where my iTunes is located but the  library folders are on the server.  What software would you suggest to act as the iTunes server on UnRAID to get around this?

Thanks again

Edited by isrdude
39 minutes ago, isrdude said:

That may be the issue as I have been trying to point to the xml where my iTunes is located but the  library folders are on the server.  What software would you suggest to act as the iTunes server on UnRAID to get around this?

Thanks again

I use MyMediaForAlexa without ever getting iTunes involved at all so I have no recommendation.   Have you tried simply running like that?

If anything I would think the daapd container might be the way to go as that appears to be what shows up when searching in CA for iTunes.

Edited by itimpi

That's where my problem all started is with MyMedia ForAlexia.  My folders are all on my unraidsever as is my itunes xml.  When I click on MMFA webgui, and then go to itunes library, I get the I get the "add iTunes Library XML".  I get stopped cold.  I type in path and nada.  I've point copy of XML both on unRAID and left on my c: drive....neither way works

Somewhere, I've got the set up balled up in a mess

1 hour ago, isrdude said:

That's where my problem all started is with MyMedia ForAlexia.  My folders are all on my unraidsever as is my itunes xml.  When I click on MMFA webgui, and then go to itunes library, I get the I get the "add iTunes Library XML".  I get stopped cold.  I type in path and nada.  I've point copy of XML both on unRAID and left on my 😄 drive....neither way works

Somewhere, I've got the set up balled up in a mess

Have you tried adding the iTunes library as a Watch folder in MMFA and not bothering with the iTunes option at all?   That is the way all the media on my server is handled by MMFA.

4 hours ago, isrdude said:

I also see after the scan that the count is zero

No idea what is your problem then.

This does not seem to be related in any way to the fact that you are running on an Unraid system.    I would suggest that you reach out to the MMFA standard support to ask them what is required when your media is being managed by iTunes.  I am not sure what is in the XML file that iTunes sets up and if that is require or not in such a scenario.

When I first installed this Docker it was setup with networking in Host mode. I tried switching to Bridge mode, but when I do that nothing will play and I get streaming errors in the myMedia webGUI. I did setup my router to pass ports 52050 and 52051 to my tower. I'll admit I don't fully understand Host vs Bridge. I keep reading about it and THINK I understand it, but when this didn't work I am no longer sure I do.

Edited by kricker

When running in Host mode then MMFA is running using the IP of the UnRAID server, whereas in bridged mode it is using an IP associated with the bridge.    Host mode is recommended as it is easier to set up (unless you have a special reason for using bridged mode).

You mention setting up your router to forward the MMFA ports?    Does that mean you are trying to stream from outside your home network?   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, rgreenpc said:

Have to ask any issues you have discovered? I have been looking for a good music server that works with Alexa, and Plex is lackluster at best 

I have had no problems using it within the home on my local LAN.   I do not try it in the mode where you are trying to use a remote Alexa device to try and access your home music - there have been reports of some limitations with running in that mode.  In simplistic terms I would say it rather like using Amazon Music on Alexa, but for your own locally hosted media.  One limitation is that the option to play multi-room (i.e. in 'everywhere' mode) is not supported but this is due to Amazon not yet making that capability available to third parties.

You can try it for free for a week before you have to decide whether to buy a license to continue using it (and the license is not exactly expensive at $5 per year) so why not give it a try.

8 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

Yeah, we're using this at home since Christmas, works really well and the price is very reasonable.  Thanks @itimpi

Shame I do not get a free license for putting the template together :)   Having said that I have not asked them so maybe I should ?

Edited by itimpi
9 hours ago, itimpi said:

Shame I do not get a free license for putting the template together :)   Having said that I have not asked them so maybe I should ?

IIRC it was something like $5.99 per year for the option that has 3 "friends"  That's less than a coffee at Starbucks.

1 minute ago, Squid said:

IIRC it was something like $5.99 per year for the option that has 3 "friends"  That's less than a coffee at Starbucks.

I actually went for the $10/per year option which allows for 2 servers as I have music and audiobooks set up as separate servers (via 2 instances of the docker running on Unraid).   I actually got the MyMediaForAlexa people to add a few features to make running multiple servers more user friendly.