(Solved) Unraid receiving wrong IP assignment

Hi Everyone,

I'm having a problem where I was happily busy with my unraid trial,  to where I am now unable to access the server. I've noticed the IP assignment is wrong, I'm on the 192.xxx. range which it was working fine with, but now it's suddenly assigning a 169.xxx address which is making it inaccessible.

Reading some of the other forum posts related to this I tried setting a static ip by editing the network.cfg file. But no go, starting to wonder if my router isn't the culprit and to maybe reset the thing... But that's a lot of configuration to be done again. If anybody can enlighten me to what this problem could be I would appreciate it. As I just built my dream server and it's doing the same thing on the new machine ☹️

Hi Frank, thanks for your reply. It's definately not a physical connection issue as the router is right next to the server connected via ethernet.

When I pull the unraid thumb drive and boot into windows I'm assigned an IP from the DHCP pool without a hitch.

This is happening on my old and new box as I stated in my OP. The only two variables that haven't changed is the router and unraid. Will try another router tomorrow.

Starting to wonder if the trial hasn't gone wrong and this is some kind of license protection mechanism?

Edited by whatdoesthisbuttondo

Since the server booted up, connect a monitor and keyboard to it..  Log into the console.  Type   diagnostics   at the command line prompt.  That will write the diagnostics file to the   logs   folder/directory of your flash drive.  Upload that file with your  next post. 

EDIT:  Also try booting int toe Safe Mode (an option on the boot menu)... 

Edited by Frank1940

You can also opt to nuke the network.cfg from the config folder of the flash drive (that will reset networking back to the defaults - which is using DHCP)

This is not a trial protection scheme as the trial needs access to the internet to get authorization to start the array.

The fact that you get 169.x.x.x IP means that your router/cable might be initializing too late/long in the boot cycle - causing unRAID to give up. Windows (and some other desktop Linux OS) do not give up and continuously query DHCP for an IP.

Thanks for your help gents, I will dump the diagnostic and upload as soon as I get home @Frank1940.

@ken-ji I have deleted the network.cfg as to force unraid to recreate it, but I get the same result.  I will be swapping out the router as I suspect it is the culprit with not correctly leasing an address (but was handling this task fine before?) .   Is there an ifconfig command that I can use to trigger a new lease of a address such as the windows ipconfig /release & /renew commands?

I have also tried this on a fresh install on a different usb, so as to eliminate any config issues. Same deal.

Ok this now has me legit stumped and the whole experience is starting to get a bit stale now.  I've added another router to the network which still receives internet from the original router.  Original router on 10.xxx range and new one on 192.xxx range. Unraid is now successfully leasing a 192.xxx IP from slave router but I am totally unable to access the GUI from either http://tower or http:// assigned ip. Windows laptop connected to slave is getting internet connectivity without any issue.

I've attached the diagnostics, would really appreciate if somebody could decipher it.

tower-diagnostics-20180713-0704.zip

Edited by whatdoesthisbuttondo

From the command line, type  ping 8.8.8.8   (That is Google's DNS server)  

Then try to ping that laptop that you have connected to the slave router.    You can find its IP address with the ipconfig  command in a DOS Window.  (Search for cmd.exe from the start button.) 

Report on results...

You should also try to ping the server from the laptop using the DOS window   ping 19.168.1.145

I pinged 8.8.8.8 successfully as well as www.google.com is being resolved correctly, I was also successful in pinging the unraid server from the laptop via the assigned address. But am still not able to access the GUI through a browser. I downloaded another browser as I'm thinking there may be something wrong on chrome's side, but no dice. 

The new browser does word it interestingly "your connection is being refused" How that can be I'm not sure. How can I check if the daemon serving up the GUI interface is running correctly? I also did ipconfig /flushdns on the laptop. 

Are the browsers trying to access the server using https:  rather than http:?   Try using only the IP address and watch for any conversions.  (The recent updates to browsers continue to tighten security and, for whatever reason, something is triggering one of those features.)  Are you using any malware blockers?  Try googling any error messages that you are getting.  

You also might try modifying the subject of this thread to indicate that you are now having a GUI issue rather than an IP assignment issue.  Leave the original topic at the end as  "WAS: Unraid receiving wrong IP assignment"

Not really sure what the issue was here, I would call it some weird bug.  I eventually pulled the unraid thumb drive from my main server and booted it on the laptop, finally got access to the GUI re-registered my trial and booted successfully on main server.

Something I figured out is, if you get a strange IP starting with 169.xxx this seems to be unraid not leasing an address quickly enough as pointed out by @ken-ji wait a minute or two and before logging in to tower as root press ctrl+c, this will re-display the tower IP with the newly leased address.

Thanks @Frank1940 for your effort in helping.