How to implement ready-built Docker?

I have a large media server that I'm trying to condense. I'm using Don Melton's video_transcoding tools locally on my Mac but I would love to be able to implement the ready-built Docker container and keep from offloading the files then transferring them back to my server. I have zero experience with Docker beyond installing a couple containers on my server -- how would I go about running this? Or does someone possibly already have this available on their repo?

Any and all help greatly appreciated!

• 1 year later...

I wanted to bump this to see if anyone has this working.  I'd love to offload my Don Melton transcoding to my Unraid server overnight.

I have attempted to make my own Docker but cannot seem to make it work.  It downloads the Docker, but I know my folders are not right and probably missing something.

I have never used or heard of this program before but looking at the docker hub page it seems pretty simple to use. The issue you are going to run into is that it is not really meant to be used in the way that we typically use containers on unRAID. There does not appear to be a useful way to create a template for it. It looks like rather than running as a daemon you are meant to start the container and run a single transcode operation, either interactively via the command line or via a script that launches 1 container per transcode process (each container is removed at the end of transcoding). 

From the unRAID command line you can run 

docker run -it -v /path/to/video/files/on/unraid:/data ntodd/video-transcoding

which will drop you into a shell within the container where you can navigate to /data and then start a transcode process for your files.

Alternatively from the command line you could run something link

docker run --rm -t -v /path/to/video/files/on/unraid:/data ntodd/video-transcoding transcode-video --crop detect --handbrake-option encoder=x265 --target small --mp4 "/data/file-to-convert.mkv" -o /data/output-file-name.mp4

to transcode a single file in a container and remove the container when finished. you could also write a script (and run it with the user.scripts plugin) in which you search and ingest folder for files, construct a docker run command as above, launch the container, and then deals with the output file. There is an example ruby script on the docker hub page that does essentially this, but it would need to be adapted to a bash script to be used on unRAID.