4K Video editing NAS with 10gb is UNRAID the way to go?

On 7/16/2018 at 1:12 PM, bman said:

In general, what you're after is a different server OS than unRAID.  You can use unRAID as a spot to host virtual machines, and in that way get the "different" OS that is required for your performance needs. 

In short, though, if you're not using unRAID for its storage abilities, you may be better served to install another OS on your bare metal build. 

The author of the video is already running unRAID for other reasons, but unRAID is not what is enabling the speed between his demo systems. Rather, the speeds demonstrated to come from the Windows, Linux or OS X machines (whichever he has booted into at the time) in concert with RAM used as disks and 10GbE network interface cards. Proper network setup is necessary too, naturally.

So then is the workstation OS side more important than the speed of the storage array? Also how big of a cache drive and ram is adequate for a system like I need?

On 7/18/2018 at 3:14 AM, nuhll said:

i did a quick test on my windows 10 VM (which is running just on the cache pool) - no direct passthru

I use 2 850 EVO 500GB

1.png

Please explain your setup and how you're getting these speeds! This is what I need, that's blazing. I would be connecting to a Hackintosh and a pc workstation. Thanks!

Nothing special. Everything standard.

Just 2 cache SSDs, like i wrote. The VM is Windows 10, on the cache drive(s). Not even "raid", just the standard cache option. 

I have relative old CPU Intel® Core™ i3-4370 CPU @ 3.80GHz, but has good single core performance, and only 16 gig ram. Via network i nearly get 1GbiTs (985mbits), but like i said, i didnt touched any special configuration. And there are plenty tutorilas for 10GiG or bonding 2 1gbits.

In the end, like i said, you cant make a wrong choice with unraid, it only cost one time and you can do EVERYTHING with it. If you go any other way, you will have to make compromises somewhere and also its """pretty""" and easy.

Edit: 985mbits from array, not from cache :)

Edited by nuhll

What really dictates the usability of unRAID is the working storage you need vs the finished file storage.

You could NOT use the mover with unraid and basically use it as a SSD cache storage area for working and a spinner disk storage area for archiving files.

You could build a system with a RAID 10 cache array. Say you use 4 x good 1T SSD's and you'd get 2T of very fast storage in RAID10. This array should be fast enough for what you want.

As for the main array, you can use something like 28 disks total (I can't be bothered to search for the number right now but I think it's 28). So, after using 4 SSD disks for the cache you can still use 24 disks in the main array. 2 disks would be used for parity leaving 22 disks for data. At 8T+ each that is 176T+ of storage. This storage would be the speed of a single spinner disk you are using. You'd probably want to come up with some type of customized automation to assist in moving the finished files from the SSD's to this storage.

So, the question is becomes - does something like 2T of fast storage and 176T+ of disk storage meet your speed needs?

20 hours ago, nuhll said:

Nothing special. Everything standard.

Just 2 cache SSDs, like i wrote. The VM is Windows 10, on the cache drive(s). Not even "raid", just the standard cache option. 

I have relative old CPU Intel® Core™ i3-4370 CPU @ 3.80GHz, but has good single core performance, and only 16 gig ram. Via network i nearly get 1GbiTs (985mbits), but like i said, i didnt touched any special configuration. And there are plenty tutorilas for 10GiG or bonding 2 1gbits.

In the end, like i said, you cant make a wrong choice with unraid, it only cost one time and you can do EVERYTHING with it. If you go any other way, you will have to make compromises somewhere and also its """pretty""" and easy.

Edit: 985mbits from array, not from cache :)

nuhll: I smell what your selling lol. I might just give this a try. If you're getting those speeds I am sold. Now, are you reading 4K video files from the NAS in a video editor? That's exactly what we need to do. Would your CPU and RAM handle that bandwidth? Love to know!

No i just use it for "home automation" (plex (mostly HD videos), jdownloader, radarr, sonarr, mobile phone backups (nextcloud) and so on... ) and to host some VMs for private use. 1Gbits is for my ram/cpu np.

Im just wonderring why you dont just build a rendering machine with unraid, this can ofc also handle any file transfers easy.

btw

Edited by nuhll

@nuhill is getting these numbers because it is inside a VM that had direct access to the disks. (not over 10gbit network)

This might really twist your concept and plans, but unRaid can have multiple passed through video cards to multiple VM's. In this use case, your existing video editing workstation is no longer required as you are video editing on a Mac or Windows Virtual Machine that is running on your unRaid server.

In this case you will be needing 32+ GB ram, and possibly a dual CPU on unRaid so it can share with the VM's. That way the numbers that nuhill posted are totally possible.

See the Linux tech tips YouTube video about 2 gamers on 1pc. There are many gamers doing this, but not so much documentation about creatives. As nuhill states unRaid is a flexible beast.