Supermicro X8SIL-F - Level I test passed

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

But it will the ECC function be supported or no with i3 processor? I found different answers across forums, one stating that i3 only requires ECC non-buffered modules and that ECC is disabled, while on link in my previous post the guy is stating when pairing pentium or i3/i5/i7 with intel 3400 or 3420 chipset it will support ECC  ???

But it will the ECC function be supported or no with i3 processor? I found different answers across forums, one stating that i3 only requires ECC non-buffered modules and that ECC is disabled, while on link in my previous post the guy is stating when pairing pentium or i3/i5/i7 with intel 3400 or 3420 chipset it will support ECC  ???

...look here: http://www.supermicro.com/support/faqs/faq.cfm?faq=10712

Intel is using the same Core i3 processor at both Desktop as server platforms

So when Core i3 processor is inserted in to a server chipset platform, like with intel 3400/3420/3450 chipset,then the CPU will support ECC with UDIMM.

On the other hand if Core i3 is pluged into a Desktop chipset mainboard, like with P55, H55… chipset, then CPU won’t have ECC support function.

So with X8SIL-F using Server 3420 chipset,you need to install unbuffered ECC memory in combination with Core I3 processor.

[...]

Motherboard specs:

Supermicro X8SIL-F - http://www.supermicro.com/xeon_3400/Motherboard/X8SIL.cfm?IPMI=Y

1. Intel® Xeon® X3400 / L3400 series,

Core™ i3 & Pretium® processors

with LGA 1156 socket

2. Intel® 3420 Chipset

3. Up to 32GB DDR3 1333/1066/800MHz

ECC Registered DIMM / 16GB

Unbuffered DIMM

4. Dual Intel® 82574L Gigabit Ethernet

Controllers

5. 6x SATA (3 Gbps) Ports

RAID 0, 1, 5, 10

6. 2 (x8) PCI-Express 2.0,

1 (x4) PCI-Express (using x8 slot),

1 32-bit PCI slot

7. Integrated IPMI 2.0 with KVM and

Dedicated LAN

8. 7x USB (2 rear, 1 on-board, 2 headers)

Since the board has passed level 1 and level 2 already, this might not

be worthwhile...but some BIOS settings seem to be dangerous...so just in case...

I am running this board with a Xeon L3426 CPU

and haven't tried unRAID on it (yet).

There are some issues with these Intel NICs and the e1000e driver/module

across all major distros, currently as it seems (like here).

I tried some of them and had connectivity dropping on me during high/heavy load.

ESXi 4.1 even completely froze the box on me, while Lenny, RHEL6, Lucid and FC14

just lost connections (ethx-if state counter showing trillions of errors).

RHEL6 and FC14 finally got stable after I installed using a USB-NIC and applied all updates.

Finally I came across this solution, here,

where it is stated that one should disable "Active State Power Management" in the BIOS.

I think, I might have activated this BIOS option myself and the disabled state might be the standard setting.

After reverting the BIOS setting, the NICs are stable now.

I am just curios how this maybe will affect S3 modes/capabilities.

...probs with the NICs on this board have finally been confirmed, here: http://www.supermicro.com/support/faqs/faq.cfm?faq=11049

Question

When I enable ASPM (Advanced -> Advanced Chipset Control -> Active State Power Management) on X8SIL-F motherboard. It will cause the NIC to fail.

Answer

82574L has problem on ASPM (L0). Please check below link document for Errata#13, ASPM L0 issue can cause system hang

http://download.intel.com/design/network/specupdt/82574.pdf

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any news on fan speeds, has anyone been able to control the fans speed by software?

I have been fighting with it whenever I have time which isn't very often at the moment.

I could swear I had it working once but I have been unsuccessful in replicating it.

While fiddling around in the BIOS i managed to stop the NICs from working by enabling "Active State Power Management". Make sure you leave that disabled.  ;)

I have three delta PWM 120mm fans in a Norco 4224 case, and am running unRAID 4.7 "final".

If I run these commands while unraid_fan_speed.sh is running I get the following results:

cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/fan_input_1

cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/pwm2

I can hear the fans start to spin down every 2mins and then I assume the BIOS kicks in and spins them back up to the 76 setting.

I have the fans set to "Energy Saving" in the BIOS at the moment, changing them to "Full Speed" doesn't seem to make any difference.

Here is the manual if someone wants to dig through and find something I have missed:

http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/3420/MNL-1130.pdf

I am heading out soon and will try a few other things when I get home later tonight.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone install full slack on this board, then update the build the unraid kernel?  I'm having some issues with my drives swapping places... seems the bios likes to move them around or put whatever was inserted last as sda --so if I add a drive later, it could become the sda...

Is my best option to use a usb stick to boot the hard drive partition--since i have to keep it in there for the license anyway?

I have the mb bios set to ahci for sata and ive disabled the pci slots roms --i have 3 AOC-SASLP-MV8 - and disabling the rom loading on the pci slots was the only way i could get all three to work.

• 1 month later...

Just chiming in on this thread, I just finished building my own unRaid server based on this board.

Specs:

Motherboard: Supermicro X8SIL-F rev 1.02

CPU: Intel Core i3-540

Memory: Kingston ValueRam 4GB(2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz CL9

Controllers: 3x Adaptec 1430SA

Disks: 1x WD2003FYYS-02W0B0 (2TB Raid Edition) for parity

mix of WD EADS and EARS 2TB for data (starting out with 5 now, growing to near full case once my old server is copied over)

For reference, the case I'm using is an Antec Twelve Hundred with 3x Icydock 5-in-3 (MB455SPF-B) and one of the standard Antec bays to hold the parity disk. In total, that's room for 18 disks, nicely corresponding to the 18 SATA ports on the mainboard and controllers. Case is nice and roomey, does require the c-clamp mod though, to fit the Icydocks.

First observation is that during bootup, only two of the Adaptec controllers report in, even when you enter the Adaptec configuration menu. Once you've booted unRaid, all ports show up nicely and everything works fine. I've even completely disabled the option rom for the pci-e slots (a setting in the Supermicro's bios).

I'll be reporting progress for level 2 and 3 testing here as i get there :)