At the risk of sounding lame...[OpenVPN question]

For obvious reasons I don't wanna publish the make and model of my router here.

Tried the vpn server of it and it's a cheap router and cannot seem to connect.

Have tried various protocols and articles from the vendor's website to no success.

Is there no type of plugin for connecting to unraid from outside my network?

Thanks for any help.

1 minute ago, abs0lut.zer0 said:

For obvious reasons I don't wanna publish the make and model of my router here.

For the life of me, I honestly can't think of what the reason would be.

1 minute ago, abs0lut.zer0 said:

Search for OpenVPN in Apps

reason being possible vulnerabilities on my router that can be leveraged for fun and games by people that are script kiddies.

so rather be paranoid and i know it's quite simple to find out if they really wanted too but i just feel a little bit of sanity by not publishing the info.?

will look in apps thanks for that...?

10 minutes ago, abs0lut.zer0 said:

The absolute easiest way (I think) is to spin up a vm of ubuntu or similar, then install a Remote Desktop like team viewer in the vm and on your external device. While this does have it's limitations, it's all self contained and fairly easy to use.

1 minute ago, 1812 said:

The absolute easiest way (I think) is to spin up a vm of ubuntu or similar, then install a Remote Desktop like team viewer in the vm and on your external device. While this does have it's limitations, it's all self contained and fairly easy to use.

don't wanna have any dockers on my machine

used to have a cheap acer tablet running team viewer but screen packed up and cannot use it any more.

so looking for alternative connection to my network for dropping my stuff from my seed-box when i'm at work

agreed
sorry l did'nt explain better I do not have any more disks for apps I only use the limited disks i have for storage hence the ask about a plugin.

I can understand wanting a machine just as storage, I can understand to a degree your paranoia about certain information.

But where I don't quite follow the logic is that you'd rather use a plugin installed with root permissions than a somewhat sandboxed docker container.

Probably not a massive difference given that you're talking about OpenVPN here, but thought it worth pointing out.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, abs0lut.zer0 said:

agreed

sorry l did'nt explain better I do not have any more disks for apps I only use the limited disks i have for storage hence the ask about a plugin.

an openvpn docker has no significant drawbacks running on array disks (other than disk probably not spinning down)

an openvpn plugin on the otherhand may suddenly fail to work on a newer version of unRAID

probably cheapest is to grab yourself a raspberry pi, hook it up besides your router, setup openvpn on it and port forward to it.

9 hours ago, ken-ji said:

an openvpn docker has no significant drawbacks running on array disks (other than disk probably not spinning down)

an openvpn plugin on the otherhand may suddenly fail to work on a newer version of unRAID

probably cheapest is to grab yourself a raspberry pi, hook it up besides your router, setup openvpn on it and port forward to it.

hmm...

now you got me interested

I have a couple of pine64's lying around that i used to used for kodi

they should do the job thanks ken-ji gonna look into that rather

hmm...
now you got me interested
I have a couple of pine64's lying around that i used to used for kodi
they should do the job thanks ken-ji gonna look into that rather
Only issue with using something like the Pine is it limits bandwidth due to the overhead of encryption, not necessarily an issue depending on the use case, for webui stuff it'll be fine, but for heavier stuff like file transfers you may want to think again about utilising your Unraid server and the processing power you have with that.

13 hours ago, CHBMB said:

Only issue with using something like the Pine is it limits bandwidth due to the overhead of encryption, not necessarily an issue depending on the use case, for webui stuff it'll be fine, but for heavier stuff like file transfers you may want to think again about utilising your Unraid server and the processing power you have with that.

Well i guess the OP can try it out (costs him just a bit of time) and decide if its good enough. Some claims it is more than enough

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=4671&pid=28747#pid28747

I, myself have linked my, my sibling and my parents place with Mikrotik hEX (RB750Gr3) routers everywhere with dual EoIP + GRE links (with IPSec) between both sites. (openVPN was too slow a protocol for this). I can also VPN in, but I don't like how Mikrotik openVPN is TCP only.

It's not quite fast enough (my parents have only 20/20 vs 50/50) for some applications, but good enough to remotely watch from the Emby server, and unRAID.shares.

and the absolute beauty is I can reboot, take  down the array , etc kind of maintenance on unRAID without killing the VPN link - which is why its also a good idea/fallback for the OP