New Build: Strang Speed (?)

Hi everyone.

I just build my first PC last week to be used as a home server with Unraid (6.5.3 currently installed with a trial key).

Everything seems to work fine and Unraid exceed my excpectations. Except that I have write speeds that seems odd.

I tried to rsync (with -avzh options) some data to my array and it seems that I always have pretty muche a transfert speed of 30MB/s. I tried to transfer:

• from my current data drives (connected to my iMac via usb3 and shared by OSX via smb) to one of the two hard drives currently in the array (via /mnt/disk1/ instead of using the user shares and in a folder associated to a share setup to not use cache),
  • from the same previous source to my cache drive (an SSD, via /mnt/cache),
  • from /mnt/disk1 to /mnt/disk1 (in a folder associated to a share setup to not use cache),
  • fromt /mnt/disk1 to /mnt/cache

I do not have a parity drive.

The hardware is the following: https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/qdvXfH

It seems strange to me to have the same speed transfering from external drives and from internal drives, and even stranger to have the same speed transfering to an HDD and to an SSD.

Is that a normal Unraid thing that I am not aware of or there is something fishy in my setup? As stated it's my first Unraid setup and even my first PC build so it could be totally normal.

Thanks for your help (and sorry for my broken english).

1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

Remove the -z flag, that turns compression on and it's much slower for lan transfers, it can only be useful for low bandwidth remote transfers.

That seems to fix my issue. I still have the same speed copying from my current data drive (through network) to the SSD and HDD (around 100MB/s) but from /mnt/disk1 to /mnt/cache is now faster that from /mnt/disk1 to /mnt/disk1. But that seems more normal to me :slower while going through the network, and copying to HDD slower than to the SSD.

Thanks a lot.