Move Existing JBOD to UnRaid

Hello all!

I just picked up a new server, currently without drives but with controllers. I've been using a bog standard Linux computer as a Plex server. It currently has 5 drives internally configured as a 19 TB JBOD (things just kept getting out of hand), and 3 external drives with additional data on them.

The question I have is can I lift the 5 drive JBOD out of my current server and put them in my new UnRaid server and have them be accessible?  I know that the parity won't be available (no parity drives yet), but will the JBOD be readable, or will I have to transfer all of the data over through my network to the new server (after I add new drives to it).

Obviously, I'm hoping I can just move the JBOD over and get it accessible, but if that's not possible, well....I guess I'll find out what the true through-put of my network is.

Thanks for any advice.

Bob

You may be able to mount the drives using a 3rd party plugin called Unassigned Devices, but if you assign the drives to array slots they will most likely be repartitioned to match what unraid uses.

24 minutes ago, Moose_Flunky said:

will I have to transfer all of the data over through my network to the new server (after I add new drives to it).

That is the safest option, since you will need some new drives anyway to set up the parity protected array.