how you get windows VMs to work

i followed it and another video still doesnt matter i get that error i posted once you click vnc remote... and now i have like 10 copies of windows 10 vm i was trying  as you cant edit the vms  they all grayed out when i click edit.. so i cant edit i cant delete.. i cant install

i pulling my hair out lol

• Like 1

still unable to install windows 10 or server 2016  this video doesn't show when you get the error I get what to do..

and how do I uninstall the 20 vms of windows 10 I have  I wanna just click and click delete  but there is no delete...

and I didn't see in this video  when you click vnc and you get this error what to do.. so im frustrated  now I have 20 vms of 10  that don't work cant delete friging thing  thought this soo easy  yet not so true

5 minutes ago, comet424 said:

still unable to install windows 10 or server 2016  this video doesn't show when you get the error I get what to do..

you can try to restart the vm and at the tianocore screen, you'll either have to hit F2, F8, F10, F12, or del (I don't remember) to select your boot device

7 minutes ago, comet424 said:

and how do I uninstall the 20 vms of windows 10 I have  I wanna just click and click delete  but there is no delete...

click on the little red square on the icon, on the dropdown that appears, click delete

8 minutes ago, comet424 said:

thought this soo easy  yet not so true

It's pretty straightforward. If you want, you can use seabios instead of ovmf when you create the vm. It will work, but less "advanced" (I have several seabios vm's and they perform the same.)

so  my icons dont have red square buttons  they just have a Green Play button  if you click stop it does nothing  spinny wheel it does and then back to green play button

what is the tianocore or how you do that... when  i click  VNC Remote that screen i posts comes on instantly  and then at bottom gives 4 seconds counter then Shell command shows up

as for the Seabios..  it doesnt work i get this error

VM creation error

internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2018-07-19T12:12:57.841993Z qemu-system-x86_64: -netdev tap,fd=33,id=hostnet0,vhost=on,vhostfd=35: vhost_set_owner failed: Cannot allocate memory (12)
2018-07-19T12:12:57.847864Z qemu-system-x86_64: -netdev tap,fd=33,id=hostnet0,vhost=on,vhostfd=35: vhost-net requested but could not be initialized

I've only seen a memory allocation error when you don't have ram available that you're trying to assign. if you have several vm's just sitting there doing nothing with assigned ram, then that's part of your issue.

If all the vm's you crated have the green play button, you need to click that and click stop. it will then spin. if it doesn't change to red after spinning, then click the green button again and click force stop. 

then you can delete the vm's you've made and try again with seabios.

I got the UEFI shell on my first boot following that video also.  He mentions in there to "remember to hit any key to boot," and that was my problem.

I rebooted, and started the VNC immediately and pressed any key when the prompt came up and it booted normally.

In my case, the shell came up when I didn't "press any key," as per the video.

Hope it helps.

On 7/19/2018 at 8:15 PM, comet424 said:

what is the tianocore or how you do that... when  i click  VNC Remote that screen i posts comes on instantly  and then at bottom gives 4 seconds counter then Shell command shows up

Try typing exit next time it drops to shell, then manually select the boot device from the bios/uefi screen, which will either be fs0 or fs1 based on your screenshot (has cd/dvd in description).

OVMF has worked for me on Win10 & Server2016.