Need help setting up LSI SAS 9206-16e controller

Hi Guys,

I'm new to Unraid and need help setting a build hopefully with 20 drives. I have the following hardware and recently got a Dell LSI SAS 9206 Non RAID 16e PCI E 3.0 16 Port 6gb Controller. The card seem to compatible out the box but cant seem to get any drives to load. I have double checked SATA is to AHCI on MB, switched card from one pci lane to another, and set new hardware configuration.  I'm not sure if this a driver issue or if I need flash it as the card is suppose to be JBOD only. vraid-syslog-20180718-2135.zip  &  vraid-diagnostics-20180718-2140.zip 

Asus Z170-PRO MB

16 GB RAM

4x 6TB drives 

4x 500 SSDs

Dell LSI SAS 9206-16e

Thanks in advanced!

2 hours ago, ken-ji said:

How is the HBA connected to your disks? its an external variant, so you should be using SFF-8088/SFF-8644 to SFF-8088/SFF-8644 cable to a SAS/SATA enclosure.

The driver started up fine but did not detect any disks

Its my first time using sas controllers so I was confused on which cables to get so I bought these. I'm guessing the are not the right break out

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NCOQQLO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by efthernet
4 hours ago, ken-ji said:

If your HBA doesn't say that it sees the drives on boot, its entirely possible the cable is not even plugged in or completely borked.

Please make sure to push the SFF8644 in very well. It should not come off unless you pull on the purple pull tab.

I just tried another new cable on another port and different drives HDD, SSD. The mb does read the regular sata ports tho.  Which cables are you using I see you are also using the LSI 9206-16e card.  Did i get the right cables? 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NCOQQLO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by efthernet
  • 6 months later...