Newbie, intro.

Serpent7

3 hours ago, tr0910 said:

I guess I'll have to try pass through graphics someday.  Since my laptop lives on my desk, and gaming is not needed, I haven't felt the need so far.  Haven't you had occasions where not having a laptop handy and being locked out of your VM has been a problem?  I find that VMs really need to be put to sleep to reduce server power usage.  But once they are asleep they can't be woken up with RDP. 

I do have a Surface handy that I use when the server needs to come down or VM manually restarted. But I can go months without server or VM coming down. 

With UnRaid, you can suspend and resume a VM using Web GUI. Easily done on a phone or tablet.

I have not made much effort to reduce electrical draw. I figure one server is going to be less than a server + a powerful desktop. I'm not a big laptop fan for frequent home use.

12 hours ago, tr0910 said:

Someday we need to rename to the unRaid APP store.

CA is so much easier to type than UAS.  Side note though: The tab was originally named App Store.  A lot of backlash over the use of the word "Store" hence Apps.

Good news and bad news. All 3 drives came in!!!

I ordered 1 new Toshina P300 2tb from walmart. I removed my 300gb hd that came with the server and used its tray and I got green lights.

The 2 WD hd that I ordered off ebay that came with R900 trays, turns out to be some other type of server trays (not for a R900). I contacted the seller, and he asked for pics...

This is not a R900 server drivetray...

I hope to have the correct trays before my eval. copy of UnRaid expires...

15326317636305446430271245270075.jpg

1 hour ago, Serpent7 said:

I hope to have the correct trays before my eval. copy of UnRaid expires...

Limetech has been very good in the past about extending a trial an additional 30 days.  I assume if you are still assembling hardware and need additional time to test unRAID once you have your "final" build, they will likely accommodate you with a trial extension.  Alternatively,  you could just buy the license now; you know you are going to do it anyway! ?

5 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Limetech has been very good in the past about extending a trial an additional 30 days.  I assume if you are still assembling hardware and need additional time to test unRAID once you have your "final" build, they will likely accommodate you with a trial extension.  Alternatively,  you could just buy the license now; you know you are going to do it anyway! ?

I just got an email from the company, and they agreed the trays they sent were not for a R900, I believe they are for a R710. They said they would send me out the correct trays. It took 1.5 weeks to get the drives and trays here. So im guessing another 10-12 days before I can play with my server? That's Julian luck... I mean, Serpent luck for you!

Once they come in, I'll have 3, 2tb drives and will be able to finally set up my arrays!

Just twiddeling my thumbs here...

You guys/gals are correct though... I should just suck it up and buy my UnRaid now! Love it so far, and I'm sure what I want to do with it is totally doable!

15 hours ago, Serpent7 said:

Guess who is finally Formatting Devices, and Parity Synching???

I could not have done it without your help!!! I'll be asking loads of questions in the coming days ahead, but for now, Im feeling very accomplished!

-SS

Good deal. Hope it is smooth sailing ahead. Community is here if you have questions or problems.