Is there a way to move the libvirt.img

Settings, VM Manager - Disable VMs

After everything shuts down (If it takes more than 2 minutes, refresh the page), move the libvirt.img file wherever you want

Change the libvirt.img location to match the new location.

Re-enable VMs  (But a note, on my machine, libvirt refused to mount again, unless I did a reboot)

Should do the trick.

Edited by Squid
  • Like 2

I've been looking to do the same, but one of my unraid servers doesn't have VT-x or AMD-V capability and says so on the Settings, VM Manager page.

Yet, I still have a /mnt/user/system/libvert/libvert.img of about 1G in size. How would I go about disabling libvert and deleting that .img file? And I still have a tab for VMs in the GUI.

3 hours ago, shaunsund said:

I've been looking to do the same, but one of my unraid servers doesn't have VT-x or AMD-V capability and says so on the Settings, VM Manager page.

Yet, I still have a /mnt/user/system/libvert/libvert.img of about 1G in size. How would I go about disabling libvert and deleting that .img file? And I still have a tab for VMs in the GUI.

You'll need to edit config\domain.cfg on the flash drive and change SERVICE="enable" to "disable", then reboot.

On 7/20/2018 at 4:55 PM, Squid said:

Settings, VM Manager - Disable VMs

After everything shuts down (If it takes more than 2 minutes, refresh the page), move the libvirt.img file wherever you want

Change the libvirt.img location to match the new location.

Re-enable VMs  (But a note, on my machine, libvirt refused to mount again, unless I did a reboot)

Should do the trick.

Thanks, I didn't even think to disable the VM manager.  Once I did that I was able to change it.

On 7/21/2018 at 2:34 AM, johnnie.black said:

You'll need to edit config\domain.cfg on the flash drive and change SERVICE="enable" to "disable", then reboot. 

OK Thanks!

That also hid the VM tab. Seems like on a boot, if unraid can't find VT-x or AMD-V it should automatically disable the service.

• 2 years later...

Hello, 
Hope this is not an 'out of line question' 
What is the purpose of the libvirt.img? Is it created when you ONLY deploy VMs within the UnRaid environment?

I am using CA backup plugin, and have this set to backup, yet I am not seeing any libvirt.img in this location
I currently do not run any VMs on my UnRaid array.
Any clarification would help.
003.thumb.JPG.74353cf9ba55abeb20aa989adb7a656d.JPG

Thanks.

Edited by bombz
  • 11 months later...
On 10/20/2020 at 1:51 PM, bombz said:

Hello, 
Hope this is not an 'out of line question' 
What is the purpose of the libvirt.img? Is it created when you ONLY deploy VMs within the UnRaid environment?

I am using CA backup plugin, and have this set to backup, yet I am not seeing any libvirt.img in this location
I currently do not run any VMs on my UnRaid array.
Any clarification would help.
003.thumb.JPG.74353cf9ba55abeb20aa989adb7a656d.JPG

Thanks.

• 10 months later...

I don't want to sound like an ass here, but I'm trying to figure out what the libvert.img file actually is beyond "it's used by VMs", which seems to be the stock answer when the question is asked.
I get it, it's used by the VM subsystem. But what is it FOR? What does it contain? What happens if it is damaged or deleted? Does it need backing up? Does it benefit from being on high-speed drives etc. etc.

I'm sorry, but the stock response isn't answering the question....

15 minutes ago, wierdbeard65 said:

I don't want to sound like an ass here, but I'm trying to figure out what the libvert.img file actually is beyond "it's used by VMs", which seems to be the stock answer when the question is asked.
I get it, it's used by the VM subsystem. But what is it FOR? What does it contain? What happens if it is damaged or deleted? Does it need backing up? Does it benefit from being on high-speed drives etc. etc.

I'm sorry, but the stock response isn't answering the question....

Mount point is /etc/libvirt.

as others have said stores xml files for vms, libvirt config files, hooks files for VM actions. used to be a single file call qemu, but with 6.10 supports qemu.d for multiple scripts.

Edited by SimonF