Central Server - pass KVM/USB throughout house?

I have an Unraid server in the basement - if I install multiple GPU's, what is the best way to pass USB/video to multiple VMs throughout the house?  

• long HDMI/USB cables?
  • linuxtechtips used long Thunderbolt3 cables, Thunderbolt docks, Thunderbolt expansion cards here (but I can't seem to find long TB cables unless spending $500?)

Most use long HDMI / USB cables as they are most cost effective.  It sure will be nice when TB3 comes down to USB price levels.  Linuxtechtips gets their hardware early, and without some of the costly decisions that we have to make. 

@SSD uses these USB and these HDMI cables for intermediate length runs.

Edited by tr0910
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised anyone even attempted the thunderbolt cable and dock. Sounds completely bass ackwards to me. In addition to being expensive, I thought thunderbolt had pretty strict cable length requirements. And after you've brought the video card to the location, the dock needing power...you almost should have just put a cheap PC there.

I use long hdmi and USB cables but my run isn't to bad (~20ft to wall outlets)

A little tip: You can drill much smaller holes if you use micro/mini hdmi cables because the plug is so small.

2 hours ago, scorcho99 said:

A little tip: You can drill much smaller holes if you use micro/mini hdmi cables because the plug is so small.

You can drill even smaller holes if you use CAT6 cable and put the ends on after you run the cable.

Or, just use a low voltage wall box if you have hollow walls and get the appropriate wall plates for a really finished look.

If you have to go through masonry walls, sux to be you.

• 4 months later...

rolling back around to this as I don't want to rip apart walls to run more cables - would it be possible to use Apple's Thunderbolt-to-LAN adapter on both ends to run over a CAT5e connection?  

server - Thunderbolt expansion card, Thunderbolt-to-LAN adapter, CAT5e

upstairs - CAT5e, Thunderbolt-to-LAN adapter, plugged into Thunderbolt dock

On 12/29/2018 at 1:02 AM, russdyer77 said:

rolling back around to this as I don't want to rip apart walls to run more cables - would it be possible to use Apple's Thunderbolt-to-LAN adapter on both ends to run over a CAT5e connection?  

server - Thunderbolt expansion card, Thunderbolt-to-LAN adapter, CAT5e

upstairs - CAT5e, Thunderbolt-to-LAN adapter, plugged into Thunderbolt dock

No, oh god no

Thunderbolt is overkill anyway. Just run either within spec usb and hdmi, or an active repeater for them. Honestly, though, I don't know how economical this even would be compared to some cheaper desk/laptops, and if there's really any good reason.