whats best sync prog between 2 unraids for 2018

comet424

I tried googling articles for syncing 2 unraids read rsync  I did that with freenas but that worked kinda it kept replicating it self  when I tried to make it bidirectional update

and I read synchthing  I kinda got confused  trying to set it up

what I wanna do 

is have 2 unraids  that are have my media   at 2 different houses  and using our internet of 5 mbps   and each raid would have least 20TB of data...  and then 2 other backup computers 1 on each house as a backup of the main data..

so I want the 2 computers that have the 20tb  if files get added at either end   it would replicated instantly..   and possibly a scheduled  sync  at 12am  for certain folders

then I want the backup computers on the network...  to sync on a scheduled update...  so that computer is always off...  I want the main (20TB) unraid to have a schedule..  wake up the backup computer... transfer the files..  then tell the backup computer to shut down...  and being on UPS  and power goes off and its in the middle of a transfer  I want it  power down or sleep mode of unraid when power comes back it then continues the syncing....

but if there is no program like I want to do for the backup computer solution.. I guess id have to leave it on all the time..... and just power down the drives and leave the computer running all the time...

but what be the best program for 2018  that can sync instantly over the internet  and also  certain folders be a scheduled sync    as I don't wanna do backup as that's copying the entire thing and I don't want to send a backup for 20tb say each night   at 12am  just a certain folder and sync it for the ones that are not on that computer... and want it bidirectional.. if something is added to server1(20tb)   it sends to server2 (20tb)  and vice versa... as I had issues with rysnc and freenas  it kept replicating in the folder   and never stopped

3 hours ago, comet424 said:

I tried googling articles for syncing 2 unraids read rsync  I did that with freenas but that worked kinda it kept replicating it self  when I tried to make it bidirectional update

and I read synchthing  I kinda got confused  trying to set it up

I tried Syncthing and, the way I had it configured, it kept my two unnRAID servers in sync. However, to me, It seemed to be slow and I only wanted my backup server powered on to receive a backup.

I am now running rsync via scripts as documented in this thread (is this one you have already read?):

It took a lot of fine-tuning to get there, but, it just works now.  I am not a scripting genius, but, there was enough information in that thread that even I could eventually figure it out. 

The script I am using only copies files that are new or have been modified since the last backup.  It does not backup all files each time. I have never noticed any file replication issues.

Through the User Scripts plugin (search in Apps), you can set the script to run automatically as often as you wish. 

My backup is not bi-directional as I only want to backup my main server to a backup server and am not adding or modifying content on the backup server; however, you can certainly do a bi-directional sync if you wish.

You will likely find Syncthing to be easier (once you figure it out), but, for my purposes, there is a lot more control and flexibility in the rsync scripts.

With either solution you can keep specific folders in sync or the entire server.

no I read a different article back in 2014 or 2015 it was for the rsync

and ya like what happened was I had the 2 freenas servers set both push pull so it be direction

and say I had folder \media  and if I added file  to the first server it would replicate ok.  but when I had a file added to same location on the 2nd server  

it went hay wire...  then I ended up with  \media\media\media\media\media   kept replicating in on itself god fed up  Im so much a windows user  so I new to all this  freenas unraid Linux frebsd  pfsense  I trying to teach myself all same time

and ya I going to have 4 unraid servers..  2  that will connect via internet connection of my slow dsl..  and the have a backup server 4drive server 2gig ram machine at each location.. they Acer H340 4 bay server..  was my old windows 2003 home servers.. and since my main 2 servers be always on  as its the plex server and vm of windows 2011 server to run my websites or possible goto 2016    I wanted the backup server to turn on and off by when the main server says ok time to back up.. but I guess I have a complicated idea with the ups 

be required to write scripts.. and these scrips   do they show up in the gui  do thehy start by click of a button..

it is a transition I tell ya  when you know windows and shares  and programs sync etc  

learning experience  I tell ya

Archived