Split level issues...

- My 'TVSeries' share is setup to include disk2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and exclude disk1.

- Allocation method is 'fill up'

- Split level is set to 'only top level' so (if i'm correct) only 'TVSeries' itself will be split over disks, underlying shows should NOT be split over disks and should remain grouped on one disk. That is how i want it, i want one show to be completely on one disk.

- Underneath 'TVSeries' there are series folders like 'American Dad', Family Guy etc. Underneath each series folder there are seasons folders, season 1, season 2 etc.

Now, when want to create a new season 6 folder for 'Orange Is The New Black', i open a telnet/console and go to "/mnt/user/TVSeries/Orange Is The New Black" (which is physically located completely at disk4) and i manually create a folder:  'mkdir /mnt/user/TVSeries/Orange Is The New Black/Season 6',  but... if i check it, it is physically created in /mnt/disk1/TVSeries/Orange Is The New Black/Season 6"... how is that possible? Disk1 is EXCLUDED? Why wasn't it created on disk4?

This is a recurring issue i'm having. Also when sabnzbd is creating new folders for seasons (post scripting) often they appear on disk1... 

unraid-diagnostics-20180729-1842.zip

Edited by jowi
1 hour ago, jowi said:

I'll give it a try... it always confuses me. To me, exclude is the opposite of include and vice versa, so to me it makes no sense that you can include AND exclude disks.

I think the idea is that you use the one that is most convenient.   Setting both could potentially lead to conflict scenarios where you include and exclude the same disk.

11 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I think the idea is that you use the one that is most convenient.   Setting both could potentially lead to conflict scenarios where you include and exclude the same disk.

Exactly.

Include is when a share should not make use of new disks added to the array. So it requires an explicit action to allow the share to grow to more disks.

Exclude is when a share should automatically be allowed to make use of new disks.

But since include/exclude is about what should happen when new disks are added, a share have no use for specifying both include and exclude. Best would be if the GUI could could disable one of the fields the other field is non-empty.