nas and gaming servers

orkid1989

i have been trying to to setup a nas and multiple gaming servers using VM's and having very little luck on every hypervisor. at this point i am not sure if it is the hypervisors or a microsoft thing. the main game i am trying to launch is Ark Survival Evolved (Microsoft store version). ive gotten it to run stably on a single vm but  when i launch another 1 or both of them will close after a few minutes. the main issue is their is no crash report so i have no clue what the problem is. i was wondering if unraid might do better? other then seeing it on linus tech tips i dont know much about it. any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

i am including a link that shows the benchmark of my lenovo s30 server that shows most of the components incase it helps.

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/9964646

Hey, you can try Unraid completely free (and, as other hypervisors, can be run from a USB stick so no installation required). So giving this a go would be a good thing.

Also, wrt the Windows VM's - are you simply duplicating the single VM multiple times? Or installing the second VM from scratch? Perhaps it's an issue with Windows conflicting (license, network settings, etc)? Does the second VM work itself and only crash when Ark is loaded?

The best answer anyone is likely to be able to give is to download the free trial and see for yourself. All you need is a USB stick and a spare SSD you don't mind erasing.

Have you considered the possibility that you have a faulty piece of hardware? Something that only shows up under stress?

ok i was under the assumption that unraid was similar to esxi where i would have to wipe everything and start from scratch. i do have a 120gb ssd that i will install unraid on and try launching it.

ive done the same with multiple vm's but currently i am trying Hyper-v and i build both vm's from scratch with their own hardware. each has a assigned gpu, ethernet port, hdd, and dedicated ram and cpu cores. both vm's run just fine and even at the same time. the issue arises when i have ark playing on both at the same time. one of the ark instances will crash. im not sure about the conflict in license but i can run ark on the host server and 1 vm server and it works ok. so i am thinking it could be a hypervisor issue.

as far as faulty hardware, i think everything seems to be running ok and hardly even using any of the provided resources. the only hardware that appears to be used heavily is the hdd but both have their own and 1 is a few days old. so im not sure. 

being new to unraid, any chance someone can point me in the right direction to a guide to get started that is similar to my use case?  

55 minutes ago, orkid1989 said:

i do have a 120gb ssd that i will install unraid on and try launching it.

You install unraid on a USB stick, boot from it, unraid loads into RAM and runs from there, and you assign your SSD as a data drive 1. No OS installation to hard drives, ever. Normally you wouldn't use an SSD as a data drive, but for the purposes of trying out VM's, that will accomplish what you need to get running, and let you set up 2 (or more depending on space) VM's to see how they perform. I would recommend setting them up as VNC video only first, before playing with hardware passthrough.

Don't assign any drives that you wish to keep the data intact. Unraid uses a linux standard partition and format that can be read on pretty much any linux box, but it expects that specific layout and will want to erase any drives that don't match. To be safe I'd unplug, turn off, or otherwise disconnect drives that you wish to keep intact, if only for your peace of mind. Unraid won't touch drives that aren't assigned to data or cache slots, but better safe than sorry.

so either way i will have to start from scratch using unraid? i dont have any important data on the driver really. i would just like to avoid having to download the games on each vm due to it taking 4 hours and i am not able to copy it. also the ssd is easily removable with the ez swap evo so thats not a problem. also now that you mention "cache slots" can i use the ssd for a cache drive? if so that would be awesome.

20170414002828.jpg

Got it all started this morning and formatted the 2tb ironwolf drive and the sad is a cache drive. Really liking the gui. Very easy to understand. Question though. Something mentioned that the key will be locked to the USB that I installed unraid ti. Does that mean that if the USB ever does, I lose the key or is their some way to transfer it to another usb?

7 minutes ago, orkid1989 said:

Got it all started this morning and formatted the 2tb ironwolf drive and the sad is a cache drive. Really liking the gui. Very easy to understand. Question though. Something mentioned that the key will be locked to the USB that I installed unraid ti. Does that mean that if the USB ever does, I lose the key or is their some way to transfer it to another usb?

Yes, the license is tied to the USB.    However there is an automated process for transferring the license to a new USB drive (and invalidating the old one) that can be run a maximum of once per year.   If for any reason you need to transfer the key earlier then contacting Limetech explaining why you need to do this should resolve it.

You can backup your USB key as regularly as you like, and as itimpi said there's a quick process for moving the key over to another USB drive if that one fails. Definitely worth having a better key on hand should you ever need it, or quickly ship one if it fails!

Got 2 vm's setup and 1 is currently running the game but the 2nd one won't run it at all. Even when I close the 1st one. Any ideas? Also any suggestions for gpu setup? Doesnt need much power, just the stock settings on the window 10 template are a bit lacking in performance.

I successfully have gotten it to run 2 servers over night. Now to check for stability. Any way to tweak or Increase the graphics performance without dedicating a passthrough graphics card? Also I'll need to buy some more ram aswell but wanting to try and increase the performance and stability of the server

Archived