Prevent Finder windows from opening up on reboot for network volumes

squirrellydw

I have my network volumes mapped to my Mac but everytime I reboot the finder windows pop open for each one.  I would like it so the Finder windows don't open each time I start the computer.  I asked this question on another forum and this is what they posted but I have no idea how to do it.  Can someone help?  Here is what they said....

Make a script, save it as an app and put that app in your startup.

Something like this:

tell application "Finder"  
mount volume "smb://nas-01/music"  
end tell  

mount volume "smb://nas-01/pictures"  
end tell  

mount volume "smb://nas-01/movies"  
end tell  

Doing that way mounts the volumes but no Finder is launched.

I have my network volumes mapped to my Mac but everytime I reboot the finder windows pop open for each one.  I would like it so the Finder windows don't open each time I start the computer.  I asked this question on another forum and this is what they posted but I have no idea how to do it.  Can someone help?  Here is what they said....

Make a script, save it as an app and put that app in your startup.

Something like this:

end tell  

end tell  

end tell  

Doing that way mounts the volumes but no Finder is launched.

That will work just fine.  I have a script that does exactly this so that when I log in or connect to my home network my appleScript gets run and my drives connect

NOTE: You only need the "tell application "Finder" and end tell part once.  So the script would be:

end tell

I think the question is even more basic than that. I believe it's more "how do I build an AppleScript?"

So here's the easy step by step:

• Open up AppleScript Editor (use Spotlight or it's in Applications -> Utilities

• Copy and paste prostuff1's script in to the blank script window

• Save the file - Give it a descriptive name, and give it a location. I'd suggest Applications, as it's easily accessible to any user, and will act like an "app" you can run at any time. Make sure to choose "Application" in the file format section.

• Once you've saved it, open up the Accounts system preference, and choose your account from the list.

• Click the "Login Items" tab

• Click the plus sign, navigate to the Applications folder and find your recently saved script.

Give yourself a high five!

I think the question is even more basic than that. I believe it's more "how do I build an AppleScript?"

I did not even think about that.  I guess the programmer in me just kind of takes it for granted that if someone is trying to write an AppleScript program they will quickly find AppleScript Editor.

Thanks for providing the Step by Step for him.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...