v5: won't start, no console login, no network

Hi,

I've been running Unraid for a while (starting, I think, with 4.7) with almost no problems. Currently run 5.x with couple of plugins, fairly low usage though - sometimes I'm not touching it for a month.

It seems that several weeks ago (likely - after power outage) Unraid stopped running. Console goes down to "starting syslog" and hangs there. No console login prompt, no network (don't see device getting IP on the router).

I tried different USB drive with the same configuration - the same behavior. Run in no-plugins mode - the same.

Installed v6 from the scratch (using one of the sticks I previously tried with v5), it started fine and found drives no problem.

So, it seems these are not issues with:

- hardware  (M/B, RAM)

- cables

- usb stick

- network

Would appreciate help with ideas on how to troubleshoot further.

Thanks!

26 minutes ago, trurl said:

Are you saying V6 works?

If so then why not run with it?

- at this point I prefer not to touch it (if it works) - it's been running fine for many years now

- I want to avoid going through re-config. While it's likely I will be able to configure it the way I want it will take time and potentially and who knows what problems

9 minutes ago, se6ast said:

- at this point I prefer not to touch it (if it works) - it's been running fine for many years now

- I want to avoid going through re-config. While it's likely I will be able to configure it the way I want it will take time and potentially and who knows what problems

I don't know of any of the forum regulars that are still actively running V5. Troubleshooting with a version we haven't touched in years is very difficult, it's much easier to get you up and running on V6, especially since you say it's coming up and recognizing your drives.

Limetech likely isn't going to be of any help either, since they don't support anything but the current stable version and migration to the current stable version. There are so many security holes in V5 it really isn't wise to keep it running on any network that has internet access for any devices on the network.

Even if you are only interested in having the NAS features, V6 is a much better than V5. Easier to use, easier to configure, easier to troubleshoot, and the ability to alert you of impending problems before they accumulate.

What V5 plugins are you running? That is probably the only thing that will require reconfiguring.

Thanks for responses!

I had a plugin to run non-raid disks (you see,  I've configured it so long ago and it's been running well - I forgot what it was), and, of course, there are bunch of configs, e-mail notifications, share allocations b/w disks, etc.

I understand security concerns (I happen to be doing network security), but it's all take care of and I don't have WAN routing to the Tower.

Anyways, I understand that most regulars have already upgraded - thanks again for replies!

6 hours ago, jonathanm said:

I don't know of any of the forum regulars that are still actively running V5.

I have a machine running 5.0.4 (but with lots of own sw changes introduced for supervision and hardening). It will probably stay with 5.0.4 until I decide to deprecate the 4 TB disks and possibly deprecate the rest of the hardware too. It's a HP N54L with 5 drives, so a bit light on CPU capacity.

The obvious choice is to move as fast as possible from v4 and v5 of unRAID to get proper supervision of the system. Without regular SMART checks and mail system, it's hard to spot problems before a larger data loss is imminent.

5 hours ago, se6ast said:

I understand security concerns (I happen to be doing network security), but it's all take care of and I don't have WAN routing to the Tower.

There are lots of other dangers involved - you have an old version of Samba and an old version of sshd. And the http server is also vulnerable. So not having WAN routing to the machine is in no way enough to secure the machine from a virus on any of the other machines. At the very least, you need lots of creative firewall rules introduced to protect an older unRAID machine from inhouse attacks.

9 hours ago, se6ast said:

I had a plugin to run non-raid disks

This is handled much better and with more versatility with the Unassigned Devices plugin in V6.

and, of course, there are bunch of configs, ..., share allocations b/w disks, etc.

These should all transfer as is from V5 just by copying a few .cfg files from your flash config folder.

e-mail notifications

Builtin to V6, and with much more capability. You can get emails or notifications on your phone using other agents besides email. And SMART monitoring and alerts are part of this, as well as notifications of other events. The whole Notification system is much easier to use and can easily be incorporated into other plugins or your own scripts.

The main reasons for not moving to unRAID v6 is that the machine runs a 32-bit processor (current unRAID versions only works with 64-bit processors) or if the machine runs with very little RAM. And since 32-bit only systems are so old, they have already passed their economical lifetime and may be close to their physical lifetime. There are lots of cheap 64-bit alternatives.

But running a system without the additional supervision of current v6 (or own solutions of similar capability) is quite dangerous. Most data losses for RAID systems (except user errors like file overwrites etc) is when people don't take immediate actions when one drive fails - they do not notice anything until a second drive fails and the parity can't emulate anymore. At which time it's too late.

It isn't until a couple of version steps into v6 that unRAID can be seen as a real commercial solution. The progression the last two years have been huge.