Windows 10 / RX 560 GPU - .5 second pauses

Running 2 Windows 10 VMs with GPU passthrough and the one with the RX 560 was intermittently having issues with .5 second pauses every 2-3 seconds. Most noticeable in mouse movement, but impacting all processes. After much head scratching, adjusting cpu pins, cpu isolation etc, I finally figured out that it was caused by sharing a third monitor between the two VMs. I was toggling the 3rd monitor between vga and dvi inputs as needed. So when the RX 560 didn't have the 2nd display, it would cause the pauses. 

Anyway, not sure if it's a driver or unRAID/kvm bug, or just how it is, but I thought I'd throw it out there as I had run across similar symptoms in my research. I can say my other vm with a very old GPU does not have the issue. 

On 7/31/2018 at 12:26 AM, WashingtonMatt said:

I was toggling the 3rd monitor between vga and dvi inputs as needed. So when the RX 560 didn't have the 2nd display, it would cause the pauses. 

Are you unplugging the monitor cable from the gpu of one running vm and plugging it into the gpu of another running vm? 

23 hours ago, Warrentheo said:

Try this program, and make sure MSI interrupts are turned on for the card...  Reboot the VM afterward...

MSI_util.exe

I suspect this would have fixed the issue, however I rolled back the driver to 17.8.1 for another reason and that appears to have fixed it the issue. I had updated the driver a few times, but it looks like going the other way was the ticket.

1 hour ago, WashingtonMatt said:

I suspect this would have fixed the issue, however I rolled back the driver to 17.8.1 for another reason and that appears to have fixed it the issue. I had updated the driver a few times, but it looks like going the other way was the ticket.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_Signaled_Interrupts

Updating the driver tends to reset the MSI setting for that driver for me, I use this tool to re-enable it afterwards...

2 hours ago, WashingtonMatt said:

No, I'm using the vga input for one vm and the dvi input on the other vm, then using the monitor input button to switch inputs.

How are you able to route the video output of separate VMs to individual ports on the same GPU? I'm only familiar with passing through the entire GPU (all ports) to each VM.