VM/play Games remotly over Network

Hi Guys.. I'm new to this unRaid stuff but I want to build my own NAS because my cheap QNAP drives me crazy...

I testet some other systems like OMV, FreeNAS but I would like to stick on unRaid.

The last few weeks I did a lot of research, testing the system, looking for hardware etc.. and read a lot about unRaid and VMs... So I found for myself some different hardware setups but 1 important thing I could not find out...

My Build would be in the cellar with all the other networking stuff... and I know how to run and acces a Windows VM on the machine via VNC, but, if I would add a graphics card later, will I be able to play remotly on it? I'm talking about games like Battlefield etc. which need have some serious hardware requierements. This is an important question for me because, if it will not be able, I can buy much cheaper hardware because then it would only be used as a File and Plex Server. The only way I will be accesing the machine will be over the local network. I won't play the games from the smartphone outside the house. I would like the unRaid server to be the all in one box solution for streaming, gaming, sharing and storing a lot of files.

I saw Linus Video with to VMs on one Machine... really impressive... but he had the machine in front of him... and I don't have the place to put this machine in the living room. Also I hate the noise of the fans.

Maybe someone her can help me with this question...

You can run HDMI and USB cables from your unRaid server to your living room to connect to the TV and USB devices. I get mine from Monoprice.com. USB over ethernet works well too. I have a 75ft run from my server to the living room and it works well. VNC or RDP won't give you the performance you need for gaming. You'll want separate USB runs for each device you need connected to in the living room as a USB hub won't work.

49 minutes ago, GHunter said:

You'll want separate USB runs for each device you need connected to in the living room as a USB hub won't work. 

Some hubs do work. I have a locally powered hub connected at the far end of a monoprice USB over ethernet and it runs keyboards, mice and bluetooth dongles just fine. I think it has to do with how the 5V power is handled.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, GHunter said:

You can run HDMI and USB cables from your unRaid server to your living room to connect to the TV and USB devices. I get mine from Monoprice.com. USB over ethernet works well too. I have a 75ft run from my server to the living room and it works well. VNC or RDP won't give you the performance you need for gaming. You'll want separate USB runs for each device you need connected to in the living room as a USB hub won't work.

I use a powered USB hub at the end of a USB over ethernet connection and it works just fine! 2 xbox 1 wireless controllers, a mouse, keyboard and an all in one keyboard with built in mousepad.

16 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Some hubs do work. I have a locally powered hub connected at the far end of a monoprice USB over ethernet and it runs keyboards, mice and bluetooth dongles just fine. I think it has to do with how the 5V power is handled.

Good to know. I tried 2 powered hubs that i had and neither one worked. I'll have to try another brand i guess.

9 minutes ago, GHunter said:

Good to know. I tried 2 powered hubs that i had and neither one worked. I'll have to try another brand i guess.

You'll likely need something that boosts the power on the USB line as is needed for longer distances, there may be hubs that have this functionality (not sure).

Often the normal power boosters only serve to allow multiple devices to use power without exceeding the power limit of the original USB port the hub connects to.

Edited by tjb_altf4

Thanks for your answers!

So, you say it is possible to play remote on the machine via VM but I need to use direct connected usb devices (mouse, keyboard) because of lags completely via remote?

It would have been really fine if I could play complete remotely over RDP, Moonlight or something and won't need some hardwired devices connected from the living room 2 floors down to the cellar. 

Won't play on an TV, would have used my Mac to get the remote Access to the VM. The unRaid build does not exist at the moment, I'm just planning. Actually I run unRaid on an 10 years old HP DC7800 just for testing. Also there is an Windows VM on this little thing, and, in fact it does not have a dedicated GPU passed through for the VM it looks promising for me to get some good performance from an new build with i7 8700 + dedicated gpu. 

If I really need to connect directly the USB devices... huh... would be some looooong cables to get this done