help setting up NFS

I'm trying to set up unRAID to use NFS and access the drives from XP using Windows Services for UNIX (SFU). I find samba very slow accessing large directory trees and am hoping that NFS is smarter about things.

I've exported the drives using *(rw) on unRAID and installed Client Services for NFS. I can see all the unRAID drives in windows explorer but when browsing any particular drive am told that it is not accessible, may not have permission to access, etc.

All this brings back vague memories of unix 25 years ago, but I can't crack this problem. I don't have an NIS domain and don't know how to set one up on unRAID. Presumably this should be done using ypbind et al but I can't find it on the server. Once I have the domain, I should be able to configure a mapping between my windows user and a unix user on the unRAID server using SFU's admin snap-in.

I would appreciate any pointers. Thanks.

- Eric

I'm trying to set up unRAID to use NFS and access the drives from XP using Windows Services for UNIX (SFU). I find samba very slow accessing large directory trees and am hoping that NFS is smarter about things.

I've exported the drives using *(rw) on unRAID and installed Client Services for NFS. I can see all the unRAID drives in windows explorer but when browsing any particular drive am told that it is not accessible, may not have permission to access, etc.

All this brings back vague memories of unix 25 years ago, but I can't crack this problem. I don't have an NIS domain and don't know how to set one up on unRAID. Presumably this should be done using ypbind et al but I can't find it on the server. Once I have the domain, I should be able to configure a mapping between my windows user and a unix user on the unRAID server using SFU's admin snap-in.

I would appreciate any pointers. Thanks.

- Eric

Your problems are the exact reason unRAID 5.0 is re-vamping the unRAID file-permissions.  I don't use NFS, but feel your pain.