This came up in one of my feeds

ijuarez

Wow. Very biased. and quite wrong in a couple of places

You can set up storage disks in RAID 0, as mirrors, RAID-Z1, RAID-Z2 and RAID-Z3 using FreeNAS while unRAID offers just RAID 0, parity (RAID-1) and dual parity. With questionable design decisions when it comes to spreading data across various disks.

Since when does unRAID have RAID0/1 options? :D

What we actually have is not RAID (parity-less) and RAID4(ish) (stripeless parity)

6 hours ago, ken-ji said:

Since when does unRAID have RAID0/1 options?

Might be related to the cache pool options.

But calling parity RAID-1 shows that there might be a bit much air between the ears for the guy who wrote the comparison.

And not making a comparison of advantages/disadvantages between striping the data and keeping each data disk as a free-standing parity indicates lack of imagination. Just spinning up one drive for playing a movie is quite nice.

Lots of colored words in the article. Always positive colored words for the FreeNAS part. Lots of negative colored words for unRAID.

He even manages to describe it as an advantage that FreeNAS can run Docker by first making use of a VM. But forgets that unRAID can run a hell of a number of things using Docker and VM - such as a huge number of monitoring options etc.

It just doesn't seem possible to write such a colored piece of text without an economical incentive being received. This article has the classical forumula "I need to write something that sells FreeNAS - let's see what victim I whould select and misrepresent to make FreeNAS look good."

Author definitely has a bias for FreeNAS, and/or against unRAID; almost entirely opinion-base comparisons of little research (or substance to back up claims).

Worst part is, no comment section for rebuttal, so the OP-link and this thread, are simple echo-chambers for respective sides ? IMHO. An unbiased, and researched, "VERSUS" between the two (and/or others)  would make for solid information to prospective users wanting to choose which solution functions best for them. After reading the post, to me, it felt like reading a, "500-word essay on FOO."

Author definitely has a bias for FreeNAS, and/or against unRAID; almost entirely opinion-base comparisons of little research (or substance to back up claims).

Worst part is, no comment section for rebuttal, so the OP-link and this thread, are simple echo-chambers for respective sides  IMHO. An unbiased, and researched, "VERSUS" between the two (and/or others)  would make for solid information to prospective users wanting to choose which solution functions best for them. After reading the post, to me, it felt like reading a, "500-word essay on FOO."
I just saw it and spent the time to read it, it's complete crap but I read anything that's talks about unraid, try to preach the gospel of unraid.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, ijuarez said:

I just saw it and spent the time to read it, it's complete crap but I read anything that's talks about unraid, try to preach the gospel of unraid.

I had a similar thought earlier, "Well is this at least a case of, 'the only bad press is no press at all'?"  People might go, "unRAID what's that?" and then go look it up for themselves. 

21 minutes ago, ijuarez said:

try to preach the gospel of unraid. 

I do this at work with my coworkers, no one will take a shot at unRAID though -- they're either married to their RAID hardware, or waiting for their hardware to fail before considering new software solution (his case it's TV-card/WinMedia center - lots of DRM-lockups).  And my boss won't let me sell it to customers as a solution, instead its Synology units. 

Edited by Jcloud
more blah blah blah's
23 minutes ago, Jcloud said:

And my boss won't let me sell it to customers as a solution, instead its Synology units.

Smart boss.

As much as I love unraid, and have sold it to some of my more tech savvy customers, it's not suited to a set it and forget it type mentality many clients have. One of my clients is still running 5.something, and the only reason they wanted to upgrade from 4.7 was to get support for 3+TB drives. It hasn't broken yet, and they don't want to spend the money for ongoing maintenance or be bothered to do it themselves since it's still running fine.

Currently I'll recommend it if I think it's a good fit, and I'll consult on the initial stuff, but beyond that it needs to be their baby, and that means it's not a good fit for most clients.

22 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

it's not suited to a set it and forget it type mentality many clients have.

Yeah I would be VERY selective, as unRAID is not fit for probably 99% of our clientele, just more of my enthusiasm for unRAID, because of how well it has worked for me.   I guess my gripe with my boss is more of the fact he hears Linux and thinks code-monkey-console-wizardry, when unRAID does have things down to 90%-point-and-clicking.  I've also done the math, Synology box versus building a computer with unRAID becomes about a wash (based on costs from our general use components and our distributors)- which counts as a win towards the Synology for simplifying the equation.

EDIT: Sorry getting off-topic.

Edited by Jcloud

I don't have a large client base so I can't say much on that. However I've had the set it and forget it failed and have called me. Wanting me to retrieve data from Synology (oh yeah I got a message from it that a disk failed and told me to replace it but i figure I'd wait until more crapped out so I would only have to buy drives once)

Of course when I informed them data is gone they get mad at me and black ball me as not being a good repair man.

Anyhow, I'll keep preaching.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I decided to read a couple of more articles, and that guy seems to be constantly "unlucky" when writing.

I got to know that you can see on the extension ".pem" that it's the public key - then he directly generates a key pair with the public key stored in "id_rsa.pub".

When comparing ZFS and XFS, there is no reason to read the article to know the outcome because of quite obvious bias.

Lots of bias in the comparison of VirtualBox and VMware Workstation too.

When this guy compares something, you can see the outcome in the initial sentences.

This is a person who writes articles as he learns - not a skilled person writing articles about something he actually knows well.

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

Jumping in on this mild necro-thread that a bot posted in

At the same time, it also has support for KVM and you can install arbitrary operating systems from Windows 10 to Linux if you are familiar with KVM. 

You know, all my vm's are arbitrary.... 

also, my favorite part:

Monopolies are never good, and FreeBSD/FreeNAS with OpenZFS have quite a monopoly when it comes to reliable storage solution.

This sentence right here shows how amateur-hour the article is. "You know what's bad? monopolies. You what is a monopoly? FreeNAs. You know what you should use? FreeNas."

Cue the fanboy clown cars for this article....

Edited by 1812

unRAID on the other hand has an unappealing website, relatively fragmented community and a very basic wiki. Being closed source, they also avoid giving out helpful details about essential parts of their software

🤔

I hope Spaceinvader One doesn't read this...