UDMA CRC error

MrGrumpie

Hi all

Recently one of my 6TB WD red parity drives was flagged as faulty and dropped out of the array (dual parity build).

I replaced it with a new drive and rebuilt the array. 

I then ran some tests on the "faulty" 6TB drive using WD diagnostics, and the drive passed all the tests.  I put the drive back in my server (removing a 2TB data drive as my server is full) and pre-cleared it - it came up with 197 UMDA CRC errors.  I did some research around UDMA CRC errors and it appears that these don't necessarily indicate a faulty drive.  I've needed to migrate to some larger hard drives (my array is completely full, a mix of 6TB and 2TB drives).  So I've just allocated the 6TB drive in place of the old 2TB, but whilst the array is rebuilding fine, in the console unraid shows the drive as "faulty". 

Question is....do I have a problem with that drive?  I have checked cables and it's not that.  I have 20 drives in the array and never seen UDMA CRC errors before.  But if I RMA it I'm not sure WD will replace the drive.

Not sure what to do here...

7 minutes ago, MrGrumpie said:

I did some research around UDMA CRC errors and it appears that these don't necessarily indicate a faulty drive.

They don't.

8 minutes ago, MrGrumpie said:

So I've just allocated the 6TB drive in place of the old 2TB, but whilst the array is rebuilding fine, in the console unraid shows the drive as "faulty". 

It will show invalid until the rebuild is complete, the CRC errors can be acknowledge on the dashboard, and if notifications are enable you'll get a warning if they keep increasing, meaning there's still a problem, usually the SATA cable.

7 minutes ago, MrGrumpie said:

Recently one of my 6TB WD red parity drives was flagged as faulty and dropped out of the array

Please be aware there are 2 separate things here, that may or may not be linked. The smart alert can be acknowledged, and the flag will be reset and trigger again if there are more errors that occur after the warning is acknowledged.

The drive being dropped from the array happens when a write fails, and may or may not be related to the smart error.

Two different things.

Archived