New Flash Snafu (SOLVED)

Went to do an update, from 6.5.1 to 6.5.3 using Tools.

Not enough space on the drive; but it looks like it half did it, half did not: saw different UI, and 6.5.3...but kept asking if I wanted to upgrade (and failed again, due to lack of space).

Bought bigger flash...tried just copying files, and making drive bootable. I could get to the unRAID GUI...after fidgeting and refreshing a million times; but then could never get to like Tool, Registration, etc.

Used the USB Creator, and just did a complete reload...choosing 6.5.3; still can't get to my server.

Rebooted main PC. Help. Thank.

Edited by CDLehner

When you have too little space on the drive to do an over-the-air update, then you can shutdown the machine and insert the original drive in a Windows machine and install the newer version that way - same as when installing unRAID the first time.

Just remember that whenever you do some fancy work, you should make sure that you make a backup copy of the configuration directory of the thumb drive so you don't accidentally overwrite it.

Another problem with the auto-update is that all of the downloaded files are stored in RAM and processed there (unpacking) and then copied to the boot drive.  If there is not enough RAM to put all of this temporary stuff, the operation will fail.  I don't know what the minimum RAM recommendation from LimeTech is these days but it should be 4GB.  unRAID will run in 2GB but problems can occur depending on the plugins and Dockers used.  

You will have to tell a bit more about what your situation.  Specifically, the size of the flash drive that you are booting from and the amount of RAM installed on the server.  

Basically, the manual way to upgrade from one version to another is to download the distribution that you want to install.  Unzip it and copy the bz* files in the root of the of the distribution to the root of the boot drive.  This will overwrite the existing files.  Then reboot the server.   

19 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

You will have to tell a bit more about what your situation.  Specifically, the size of the flash drive that you are booting from and the amount of RAM installed on the server.  

Basically, the manual way to upgrade from one version to another is to download the distribution that you want to install.  Unzip it and copy the bz* files in the root of the of the distribution to the root of the boot drive.  This will overwrite the existing files.  Then reboot the server.   

And this is even possible on unRAID itself by downloading to a data disk and extracting to the flash. So not storing the download in RAM and not having two extracted copies on the flash. Then it's possible to reboot.

2 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Trying this now.

34 minutes ago, trurl said:

Take the flash to your PC and make a backup of it.

Prepare the flash as a new install with the latest stable.

Copy the config folder from the backup you made to the new install.

Boot.

Trying...

What the FUDGE!??

Edited by CDLehner

You guys, I agree; once I put the head on the server and saw this error...I know it's likely a BIOS issue.

I will say this: I refuse to believe, that removing a flash drive...copying the contents exactly; putting them on a new drive, and making it bootable...would cause this issue.

No; I think this was caused, by the update method...running out of space, like 3/4 of the way through. My suggestion, to the powers that be: there should be, like a confirmation...there's enough space, before you even head down the update path.

Love the product! ?

I'll confirm a SOLVE tonight.

Edited by CDLehner

OK; my bad. Seems like this is a boot-menu issue.

I've tried booting from USB-FDD and USB-HDD (as opposed to hard disk). No dice yet.

Oh wait; might be fine. It's "stuck" at Verifying DMI Pool Data...but that might take a while, huh?

Edited by CDLehner
3 minutes ago, CDLehner said:

How long should I give this?? ?

No use waiting very long.

The message is common if there is some troubles with the hardware (memory modules, PCI cards, ...) or the BIOS can't locate any disk etc.

It might be an idea to try to reset the BIOS settings and see if that makes a change - but that requires that you have kept track of any important settings that you want/need to restore.

7 hours ago, CDLehner said:

I F*&^%$#@ give!

This is an unf*&^%$#@ combination...of Gigabyte boards, and unRAID; that NO F*&^%$#@ one...seems to have an answer for!

Man...if ever the adage "if it ain't broke...don't f*&^ with it" applied. Why in the hell; did I feel the need, to jump from 6.5.1 to 6.5.3?? BFD!!

I've been working, like 4 hours straight; and I'm ready to starting spinning f*&^%$#@ records again ?

Can you boot any other OS from USB? If not then your problem has nothing to do with unRAID.

Have you checked your CMOS battery?