Question about Ram

I'm curious about this - I have a SuperMicro X8SIL-F motherboard with 2x 8G ECC REG quad rank DIMMs.  There are 4 memory slots, 2 per channel. If I put the DIMMs in slot 1 Channel A and Slot 2 Channel A (blue slots), the BIOS screen shows 8 GB and UnRAID shows basically the same as what tmoran000 posted.  If however I put the dimms in Slot 2 Channel A and Slot 2 Channel B,  the BIOS shows 16 GB and UNRAID shows 16 GB in the "allocated" box.  

Of course the memory is no longer interleaved in this config, and the speed drops from 1066 to 800.  But it appears I get access to all the ram.  I'm wondering if the BIOS automatically enables memory sparing when 2 dimms of the same size / type are on the same channel?  If so, I see no means to disable it like I do on Dell servers.

As an aside, the system won't boot with only 1 DIMM, or if I populate Slot 1 Channel A and Slot 1 Channel B. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 12.00.00 PM.png

I'm almost certain you've got some form of memory sparing turned on. I had this exact same issue when I first got my Supermicro board and it took quite some Bios searching to disable the memory sparing feature. Normally those numbers should be the same or just about the same.

The percentage of memory used (61% in your case) is 61% of allocated memory (8GB) - you can verify this is correct by typing:

free -h 

on the command line.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 8/18/2018 at 8:23 AM, John_M said:

The way DIMM slots are labelled is confusing and inconsistent but when they are colour coded I believe that it's pretty standard to populate slots of the same colour first.

These ones were not color coded, usually you are right, 2 one color 2 the other, this time all black and when ever I got a board like this is was always a1, b1, a2, b2 but this time it was a1, a2, b1, b2 .  so my mistake not reading the manual.