The author of Slackware: hanging on by a thread?

johnny121b

I thought some of you might be interested to know- the author of Slackware is in a bad financial situation.  It's my understanding Slackware is the basis for UnRAID, one of the oldest maintained Linux distros, and apparently is almost a 1-man-operation.  I've supported UnRAID by buying extra licenses in the past, and I think the author of its underpinnings should probably also be worthy of our gratitude as well.  I have no connection with him in any way, and if this is inappropriate somehow, I won't be offended if my post is removed, but I think this is worth putting in front of everyone here.

Forum discussion that introduced the issue to me.

TLDR- see pages 1, 11, 31 (as of this writing)

Another mention on distrowatch

13 hours ago, Altheran said:

A real shame really, Just sent a few bucks to his paypal ... Maybe @limetech could have a talk with the guy ? Maybe sponsor him ?

I dunno how big the UnRAID market really is, but I doubt L/T is rolling in cash.  I figure the user base here can probably make a bigger difference than L/T.  I do know Slackware/UnRAID has been a significant part of my hobby life over these last several years.  The notion [that he's received nothing directly for the benefits I've enjoyed] didn't seem right...so I wanted to do something beyond just money from one guy.  Together, we could make a difference.

Edited by johnny121b
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Loose association. Unraid has used slack as the base OS since forever, but there is no official agreement that I am aware of. If slack ceased development, unRaid would have to adapt.

King Slackware is dead ... Long Live LimeSlack! ... LimeWare? unSlack?[shrug] it could happen