Clear all Data and Files

To start over with a new install:

Make a backup of your .key file so you can restore it. Prepare flash as a new install with the latest stable. Restore your .key file to the config folder on flash. Reassign all disks. Start array.

To format any disks in the array:

Click on the disk on the Main page to get to the page for that disk. Change filesystem for the disk to something else, repeat for other disks. Start the array and agree to format the disks. To change filesystem back, repeat.

Here is a shot of the lower half of the Main GUI. 

image.thumb.png.f70fcdb1c3097dbb0300857fa08e348e.png

I have changed all the DATA disks 1 - 11 to XFS. The disks were previously format type reiserfs.  I assume the XFS will be a suitable format going forward.  Please let me know if there are any real tradeoffs.

Regards,

Bob

13 minutes ago, bobcooper79 said:

I assume the XFS will be a suitable format going forward.

Yes. In fact, ReiserFS is specifically not recommended any longer.

8 minutes ago, bobcooper79 said:

Here is the screen capture prior to submitting them to be formatted.

Looks good. Check the box to format and start the array. It shouldn't take a very long time for the format, since it is only creating (writing) the empty top level folder on each disk. Nothing else gets changed on the disk but all those old bits will no longer be part of the filesystem. And parity will still be valid after the format since it is updated on all write operations.

Hi Trurl and Jonathanm,

Thank you both for the help!

It looks like it is ready to go.  This server is a bit old but it has literally not been up for the last 4 years. 

image.thumb.png.66dbaf3850070ab7aeb07d62520376f4.png

image.png.9988abe9614ce8e40a32d3442a6d4821.png

I am not sure if it is capable of some of the newer features that are available.  Would you be able to let me know the options?

Regards,

Bob

Is there a reason why the server is not showing up on the network?  The UNRAID shown below is a different server.  The one that has just gotten restarted is "TOWER".  I need to copy the data from "UNRAID" to TOWER.  What is thefastest way to do that?  They are sitting beside each other and are on the same network.  10.0.0.111 and 10.0.0.113.

image.png.a3cd705cddf7ac967a26b6a6f48dda17.png

12 minutes ago, bobcooper79 said:

This server is a bit old but it has literally not been up for the last 4 years. 

So you weren't even running V6 before now? Since you didn't mention it and didn't post in the Legacy subforum I assumed you were already on V6.

Not really enough RAM for the new features, and maybe not enough CPU for dual parity. Can you add RAM? That is going to be cutting it close for V6.

Larger disks should be fine and you might even consider larger, fewer disks. 2TB is pretty small these days. Newer, larger (denser) disks also perform better. And fewer disks means fewer points of failure

Be sure to setup Notifications!

Hi Trurl,

Today I purchased and installed addtional memory for the Tower.  It installed and booted up fine.  Was 2 GB, now 8GB.

image.png.cf8bba0daa86440353de72c1bcf9d97b.png

In addition I purchased a 6tb WD Red drive and wanted to replace the 2TB Parity drive.  I powered down the system replaced the Parity Drive with the new WD 6TB and the system has not been able to boot up since even after returning the original Parity Drive.  Can someone give me an idea of how to get the system back up?

Thanks in advance for assistance.

1 hour ago, bobcooper79 said:

I powered down the system replaced the Parity Drive with the new WD 6TB and the system has not been able to boot up since even after returning the original Parity Drive.  Can someone give me an idea of how to get the system back up?

Your motherboard probably switched to booting from the new hard drive in an attempt to be helpful. Check the boot order in BIOS.

Hi Jonathanm, Bingo!  You were correct.  The BIOS had reverted to checking for the drive not the USB.  Now my question is was I correct in the thought that I could simply power don the system, swap out the parity drive with a newly purchased unformatted out of the box 6tb WD Red drive and the system would rebuild the parity on it?  Just would like a confirmation before I try that again.  

As before, thanks very much for your help!