New Build Sanity Check

jrstephens65

Hello All,

After hours of looking at other builds etc I think I am finally ready to dive into an unRaid build.  I ask that those with experience take a look at my parts list and offer suggestions and advice.

Requirements:

1) NAS/File shares

2) Plex server capable of 4 trans-coded streams (currently have aprox 5TB of media on existing Plex server)

3) Sonarr, Radarr, SAB, and possible Deluge

4) Nextcloud

5) Windows VM for my Blue Iris IP camera SW as there is no docker available, to my knowledge.

6) ???

Hoping to be somewhat future proof if that is possible.

OK on to the list of parts I put together:  (By the way this will be the first time in a long time that I get to build from scratch instead of using scrap hardware from work)

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core  $165.99

CPU Cooler: - AMD - Wraith Max 55.8 CFM CPU cooler (comes with CPU)

Mother Board: - MSI - B450-A PRO ATX AM4  $89.99

Memory: - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3000  $159.99

SanDisk: - SSD PLUS 480 GB  $84.59 (Cache Drive)

4 x 8TB 3.5" drives (Array drives)  Have a couple WD externals to shuck and looking for deals on more.

Video Card: - MSI-Geforce GT 710 1GB Video Card $37.10

Case: - Fractal Design - Define R6 $118.56

Power Supply: - Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze $69.88

Total price aprox $725.00 without Array Drives.

I am hoping to make this a quiet and energy efficient unit.  My current Plex, Sonarr, etc server is a  Dual Xeon W3520 running Win7 64 and it pulls about 200W at standby. This new build should be less than half that.

My main area of question is the Mother board and Case as I have no experience with either.

I look forward to everyone's advice and opinions,

Thanks in Advance!

James

Edited by jrstephens65
Correct Cloud Service

4 transcoded plex streams is a lot. Have you looked up what it takes to support that?

Also are you transcoding to mobile or from 4k to 1080 or something else? With my current setup I can't transcode one full 4k movie down to 1080 without a lot of buffering.

Edited by whipdancer
3 minutes ago, whipdancer said:

4 transcoded plex streams is a lot. Have you looked up what it takes to support that?

Also are you transcoding to mobile or from 4k to 1080 or something else? With my current setup I can't transcode one full 4k movie down to 1080 without a lot of buffering.

I haven't started any 4K streams yet as my storage size is almost maxed out on my current server and I have nothing to display it with yet.  I will usually transcode 1080 to 720 4Mbps for remote viewing (via internet) by family on a Roku, Firesitck, PS4 etc.  I was thinking that a pasmark score of 13545 would be sufficient to accomplish this.  The 4 streams is a theoretical maximum for my set up I usually only see 1 or 2 streams.

Thanks for the input! 4K was something I hadn't considered.

27 minutes ago, Benson said:

Not recomnand above Cosair PSU

Prefer below one, 550w 73.38 and 650w have rebate from 89.9 to 69.9 ( already gone )

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GY89G5/ref=twister_B07DQH3YSG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

MB suggest Asus seems less trouble with LSI SAS/SATA card, this concern for future expansion need.

Thanks for the input!

That's why i'm here.  Any input on the B450 chip-set?  Was worried about using the B350 chip-set and having to flash Bios with a boot kit and didn't think the x470 chip-set was warranted for this build.

Amend : Cosair CX450M also a good PSU, I just mix with some cheap model. So choice according you like which one and which cable provide more suitable.  ( BTW I like Seasonic Focus+ more )

https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/6981/corsair-cx450m-review-decent-budget-power-supply

18 minutes ago, jrstephens65 said:

That's why i'm here.  Any input on the B450 chip-set?  Was worried about using the B350 chip-set and having to flash Bios with a boot kit and didn't think the x470 chip-set was warranted for this build.

For above, I haven't much comment between B450 / B350 ( should not buy B350 ), but why worried about B450 with 2XXX Ryzen for flash BIOS issue ?

The reason go to x470 ( like x370 ) was the CPU PCIe 16x can divide in 8x + 8x. If you haven't 2+ add-on card, then you may ignore this.

Edited by Benson
3 minutes ago, Benson said:

Amend : Cosair CX450M also a good PSU, I just mix with some cheap model. So choice according you like which one and which cable provide more suitable.  ( BTW I like Seasonic Focus+ more )

https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/6981/corsair-cx450m-review-decent-budget-power-supply

For above, I haven't much comment between B450 / B350 ( should not buy B350 ), but why worried about B450 with 2XXX Ryzen for flash BIOS issue ?

The reason go to x470 ( like x370 ) was the CPU PCIe 16x can divide in 8x + 8x. If you haven't add-on card, then you may ignore this.

No not worried about the B450 at all had just read there were issues with the B350 and the 2XXX Ryzen

I like the case, I use one in my daily machine and use the old R5 for my unraid server.  The thing with the R6 is that it comes with only a handful of those 3.5" drive trays and buying additional trays seems almost impossible.  Fractal doesn't seem to sell anything and right now you'd either have to buy a second case or find someone who is willing to sell you their unused trays. 

Agreed on the define S lots of expandability. Biggest thing people tend to forget, UPS. Don’t cheap out it’ll save you in the long run. Figure that build at least a 1000VA setup. Little worried you are skimping on using a B450 rather than a X470. Extra slots and can use for various other projects and a good 9211-8i or something. Just my 2 cents. Price difference isn’t a ton and could be worth it down the line.