first unraid build help!

Daniel93

Hi, I would like some advice for my home server that I will use for some docker, plex server (i dont need transcoding) and maybe some vm (lately I'm playing with these things to increase my knowledge :))
I have a budget of 1000 € without hard disks.
I'm undecided between 2 builds:

ryzen 2600
ddr4 16gb etc. ram kingston valueram
or:
e5 2680 v2 (not dual)
32gb etc. dd3 samsung

I have a rack in the basement, I will use an inter tech 4u 4129 rack case
psu evga 500w bronze
crucial mx500 1tb for plex cache etc.
and many wd my book 8 tb.
which of the 2 builds would you recommend? or could you suggest alternatives?
the server will be on 24/7 so energy consumption is important.

Edited by Daniel93
On 8/11/2018 at 8:16 AM, Daniel93 said:

Hi, I would like some advice for my home server that I will use for some docker, plex server (i dont need transcoding) and maybe some vm (lately I'm playing with these things to increase my knowledge :))
I have a budget of 1000 € without hard disks.
I'm undecided between 2 builds:

ryzen 2600
ddr4 16gb etc. ram kingston valueram
or:
e5 2680 v2 (not dual)
32gb etc. dd3 samsung

I have a rack in the basement, I will use an inter tech 4u 4129 rack case
psu evga 500w bronze
crucial mx500 1tb for plex cache etc.
and many wd my book 8 tb.
which of the 2 builds would you recommend? or could you suggest alternatives?
the server will be on 24/7 so energy consumption is important.

If the choice is between those two builds, I would go with the Ryzen 2600 despite the increased cost of DDR4 RAM over DDR3 with the Xeon build.  The Xeon E5-26xx CPUs are the go to choice for unRAIDers wishing to build dual-CPU machines, but, since that is not your goal, the Ryzen 2600 has a TDP of 65W which is half of the TDP of the older E5-26xx CPUs.  If energy consumption and heat are an issue, the older Xeons aren't the best options.

Also, the AMD AM4 platfrom will still be supported for another couple of years with next generation CPUs.  Should you wish to go with a better CPU, the CPU is all you need to replace.  The older Xeon platform is a dead end.  Even if you want to go dual-CPUs that will mean another motherboard (assuming you don't by a dual-socket MB to begin with and populate it with only one CPU).

If you want to run a lot of VMs, you may want to consider an 8-core/16-thread Ryzen chip instead of the 6/12 2600

18 minutes ago, Daniel93 said:

Ryzen still have the c state problem ? Idle consumption expectations ?

it appears the Ryzen issues seem to have settled down greatly.  There are not nearly as many reports of problems as there used to be and unRAID zen states tweaks have resolved more issues.

See this thread:

What impact this may have on idle speeds and power consumption I cannot say as I do not have a Ryzen-based system.  However, if I were considering a new build today, the only thing that may (emphasis on *may*) prevent me from going Ryzen/Threadripper is lack of Plex hardware transcoding support.  I don't use it a lot, but, I like the fact that I can do it with my Xeon system if needed.