Unraid server shutdown during parity rebuild??

So my unraid server was rebuilding a disk I replaced (4tb) and at 70% it seems to have "randomly" shut off? I am so confused! I just started another rebuild but i'm scared it may just happen again ? 

I have no email notifications... Besides it saying it started many hours ago. 

I didn't post diagnostics because I think they reset on power off.. 

I have a brand new PSU and have had many days of uptime before this disk rebuild ?

Edit:
Just now got an email from FixCommonProblems saying an unclean shutdown was performed.. There was no power outage though.

Edited by ct1996

An unexpected shutdown is going to be hardware related in some way.    Do you mean that the server was actually powered off or just that it appeared to have locked up?    If it was actually powered off and there was no power cut then the most likely cause is something like the processor overheating and shutting itself off.  

12 hours ago, itimpi said:

An unexpected shutdown is going to be hardware related in some way.    Do you mean that the server was actually powered off or just that it appeared to have locked up?    If it was actually powered off and there was no power cut then the most likely cause is something like the processor overheating and shutting itself off.  

12 hours ago, Benson said:

Two thing most possible, CPU/Mainboard have over temp ? Power interruption ?

Just wait 2nd time rebuild finish (12+ hrs).

You two are likely correct. My chipset was running at 108C while doing parity rebuild, and I think adding a transcode on top of it pushed it to 110 (critical, overheat temp)

I pointed a fan at the chipset (I was told they just run hot as hell and to deal with it), and we are down to 94 Celsius. Rebuild is at 50% again.. Thank you guys for your knowledge and assistance. Hopefully this works ?

43 minutes ago, ct1996 said:

My chipset was running at 108C while doing parity rebuild, and I think adding a transcode on top of it pushed it to 110 (critical, overheat temp)

Is this a water cooled machine? Many motherboards expect air from a traditional CPU fan to partially also cool the chipset.

13 minutes ago, pwm said:

Is this a water cooled machine? Many motherboards expect air from a traditional CPU fan to partially also cool the chipset.

It is not, I have 3 intake air fans and 2 exhaust. I think the big issue is until I added the third intake fan (and second exhaust), all the airflow was on my HDD's. 

Also, the motherboard I am using (A Super Micro X8DTL-iF) is a server mobo designed for rack-mount use. I'm probably strangulating it by throwing it into a tower. 

Edited by ct1996
2 minutes ago, pwm said:

These also often have very strict requirements of a high air speed front-to-back. Especially if the board is intended for use in a low-height chassis.

Yeah, I didn't really fully understand how important this was when I built my server. I also heard horror stories of how loud rack-mount case fans are so I just did this, and am kinda regretting it.

Live and learn, i'll keep an eye on ebay for a proper case for this guy. I think for now, 93C is acceptable. (It might also be lower if I restarted the system.. I added the fan during parity rebuild process so it was already very hot, maybe starting from room temp with a fan on would limit it lower)

"Best" when noise matters is to have a case where you can use as large fans as possible, since large fans can use lower RPM for the same air volume. It isn't huge amounts of heat to move away from the chipset, but it still takes a bit of air. Some cases have shrouds that explicitly directs air to flow over critical components.

1 minute ago, Benson said:

The chipset seems be 5500 (Tylersburg-24D), it's TDP was 27.1w , wow.

https://ark.intel.com/products/36784/Intel-5500-IO-Hub

I have a couple of motherboards with Intel Atom chips. The processor draws 2.6W. The chipset draws 14W. When originally released, more than one magazine and web site pointed at the chip with heatsink+fan and claimed it was the processor, while missing the anonymous chip beside. It as a chipset basically designed for P4 processors, and a great way to get early Atom chips a very bad reputation.

The machine I currently sit at was delivered with an extra fan accessory to be fitted over the chipset just in case the user decided on water cooling the processor.

So it's easy to miss out on the cooling requirements of the chipsets.