Cache Drive

I have 4x 500gb samsung 860’s as a cache drive, total 1 TB. Is there a way to run it in raid 5 so that i could have 1.5 TB cache?

or alternatively could i pull a drive and have 3x500 for 1TB useable cache and that extra drive as unassigned for say plex? Thanks in advance for the replies. Yes I am new to unraid. ;)

13 minutes ago, Medikherb said:

I have 4x 500gb samsung 860’s as a cache drive, total 1 TB. Is there a way to run it in raid 5 so that i could have 1.5 TB cache?

or alternatively could i pull a drive and have 3x500 for 1TB useable cache and that extra drive as unassigned for say plex? Thanks in advance for the replies. Yes I am new to unraid. ;)

There is information regarding the subject in the FAQ thread

Edited by mrbilky

I stopped the array, moved everything, added the text in the box to try to make it a raid 10 cache, applied it, started the array. Nothing happened. Follwed the guide to the T. Still shows as a raid1. Then tried to do it as raid 5. Same result. Still a raid1.

the guide in the fact seemed straight forward, but nothing changes when i follow it. 

17 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Instead of copy/past type the command, there's some users having issues with copy/paste because they are pasting extra characters, but note that raid5 is not recommended due to the possibility of losing data to the write hole problem.

So..... This may have been my problem.. I thought that I did type in the command as opposed to copy-paste.. currently is going through its process to raid 10. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Yep... Fine now, Cache is raid 10. Thanks for all the help!

Edited by Medikherb
update.