A way to start seperate VM without Web Browser?

9v9

Does anyone have an idea on how to start another VM without opening a Web Browser to the Unraid Server?

I like the Autostart feature for one VM, but I occasionally need VM #2 at various times but not to turn on with VM #1, it would be nice to have a script or an icon on VM #1 to accomplish this.

Is it possible to 'shut it down' this way as well?

Thanks for any help!

Depending on how advanced you are, it is doable.

Roughly speaking, this is what is needed.

Use plink.exe from the putty package to log into the command line of the server and execute virsh start vm-name

Shutting down is a little more complicated, it depends on how the guest VM reacts to shutdown commands. virsh shutdown vm-name --mode acpi should emulate a short power button press to the guest OS.

It just uses the same KVM / QEMU tools that a normal Linux system uses...  I would not recommend trying to setup a new machine from scratch without a helpful tool of some sort, you could accidentally wipe the wrong drive, or tell some piece of hardware to cook itself...  Just Google "KVM command line" if you want to learn more though...

1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

Depending on how advanced you are, it is doable.

Roughly speaking, this is what is needed.

Use plink.exe from the putty package to log into the command line of the server and execute virsh start vm-name

Shutting down is a little more complicated, it depends on how the guest VM reacts to shutdown commands. virsh shutdown vm-name --mode acpi should emulate a short power button press to the guest OS.

I am pretty advanced, and forgot about Plink! I will give this a try and report back.

I will try and make some scripts myself and see if it can be a one click solution.

Edited by 9v9
Update