btrfs snapshots

Oh no, i hoped so much this is not needed...
My small server does only have 3 HDD-slots, so i am unable to provide the same amount of disks of my main server.

The configuration of the main Server is 1x 8TB for parity and 5x 4TB for any kind of Data.

Is there no way to put the snapshots in directories labled as the disks name?

12 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Yes, but you'd need to adapt the script and will only have room to snapshot 4 disks (16TB).

Due my 20 TB unraid array is only filled with 8TB data now i could live with this circumstance.

It would be nice if you can get me the idea how i could do that.

Even it would be nice to know how i could scale this, if i add more drives to the offsite Server (replace small case with bigger one one time).

Edited by Lobsi

My idea is to trigger the destination unraid servers unraid mechanic by using the /mnt/users directory

For now i did the following change to your script:

btrfs send -p /mnt/disk$i/snaps/$sd /mnt/disk$i/snaps/"$sh"_$nd | pv -prtabe -s "$t"M | ssh root@$ip "btrfs receive /mnt/users/snaps/disk$i"

Unfortunately i am further not able to make the initial snapshot from source server to destination server, to use your script once the initial snapshot is made.

5 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

That won't work, each disk is an independent filesystem, and snapshots can't cross filesystems.

Okay so i am on the wrong way... sorry i am a bit confused because i am not very deep knowing about btfrs sync.

Do you have an idea how i finally could snap the 4 4tb disks as you mentioned before?

From my point of view it should be possible to create some virtual (?) subvolumes on the offsite server to put the snapshots from the mainserver in it, but right now i am unable to get this working.

Edited by Lobsi
  • 1 month later...

Okay, after a few retries i throw the hand towel.

I dont get it to work until now, so i have to think about moving away from unraid and get 2 FreeNAS boxes (using ESXi with the compromise of being less power saveing due lack of spindown etc...) and use ZFS instead :(

The most annoying thing is to waive the Unraid File handling and i`ve got used to unraid.

To make a last hurrah, is there any Snapshot plugin or Unraid base OS support for BTRFS snapshots (to another unraid host) planned in future?

• 2 months later...