Host OS Support for Bluetooth Devices

I have a Bluetooth dongle that I want to use in a docker container. Docker requires that the Host OS install drivers for the device before it can be passed to the container. 

Searching the forums it appears I am not alone in that need, particularly for the users of Home Assistant.

See this post for more info:

Edited by kmwoley
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 5

+1

You are not alone. I’m using several home automation appliances via docker on unraid, where Bluetooth support is mandatory these days. Using another host or VM just for supporting Bluetooth is a huge pain. 

PLEASE add Bluetooth support. 

Edited by Diggewuff
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If I can just 'pile on' to this thread... I have a MB with integrated Bluetooth (uses Intel 8260 communication module, which is connected via PCIE) and I want to pass that through to a docker. If I was using a VM instead, I'm sure I could just pass this IOMMU group:

IOMMU group 17:[8086:24f3] 06:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 (rev 3a)

But I would prefer to use the docker so would need the kernel module. Is the correct module called 'btintel'? I guess it's not supported in the current kernel given:

modprobe btintel
modprobe: FATAL: Module btintel not found in directory /lib/modules/4.18.17-unRAID

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dazzathewiz said:

Yay

Let me know how this works out.  There are a set of realtek bluetooth devices which require firmware and I've had a hard time finding the "official" firmware bin files.  We'll keep an eye out for them but if the device doesn't work and it's realtek, check the syslog to see if there is a message indicating "can't find firmware".

Please let me know if you want to see the full syslog, but here is what I am seeing in mine

Jan 22 20:41:54  kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: BCM20702A
Jan 22 20:41:54  kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: BCM20702A1 (001.002.014) build 0000
Jan 22 20:41:54  kernel: bluetooth hci0: Direct firmware load for brcm/BCM20702A1-0a5c-21e8.hcd failed with error -2
Jan 22 20:41:54  kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: BCM: Patch brcm/BCM20702A1-0a5c-21e8.hcd not found

57 minutes ago, indy5 said:

Please let me know if you want to see the full syslog, but here is what I am seeing in mine

Jan 22 20:41:54  kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: BCM20702A
Jan 22 20:41:54  kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: BCM20702A1 (001.002.014) build 0000
Jan 22 20:41:54  kernel: bluetooth hci0: Direct firmware load for brcm/BCM20702A1-0a5c-21e8.hcd failed with error -2
Jan 22 20:41:54  kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: BCM: Patch brcm/BCM20702A1-0a5c-21e8.hcd not found

Following this:

https://plugable.com/2014/06/23/plugable-usb-bluetooth-adapter-solving-hfphsp-profile-issues-on-linux/

We added that firmware for the next -rc release.

Note: There may be other missing firmware you may run across depending on what device you're using.  The problem is that the Linux world doesn't much like firmware - firmware files are referred to as 'blobs' which means they are just binary data files, which means they are not built from source.

There is a kernel firmware repo but in our experience different manufacturers are slow to submit their firmware (looking at you again Realtek).  For example, why didn't those guys at plugable submit this firmware to be included upstream?  Then they wouldn't have had to write that article explaining how to make it work.  Oh well...

• Upvote 1
On 1/23/2019 at 1:44 PM, limetech said:

Following this:

https://plugable.com/2014/06/23/plugable-usb-bluetooth-adapter-solving-hfphsp-profile-issues-on-linux/

We added that firmware for the next -rc release.

Note: There may be other missing firmware you may run across depending on what device you're using.  The problem is that the Linux world doesn't much like firmware - firmware files are referred to as 'blobs' which means they are just binary data files, which means they are not built from source.

There is a kernel firmware repo but in our experience different manufacturers are slow to submit their firmware (looking at you again Realtek).  For example, why didn't those guys at plugable submit this firmware to be included upstream?  Then they wouldn't have had to write that article explaining how to make it work.  Oh well...

I have upgraded to RC2 and am still having issues with this device.

Jan 25 09:26:35 kernel: bluetooth hci0: Direct firmware load for brcm/BCM20702A1-0a5c-21e8.hcd failed with error -2
Jan 25 09:26:35 kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: BCM: Patch brcm/BCM20702A1-0a5c-21e8.hcd not found