Why is there nothing in my MNT folder???

xeonserverv5-diagnostics-20180813-1854.zip

So it shows when I use tree -L 2 /mnt/ but there is nothing when i use cloud commander or krusader to look there.

/mnt/
├── disk1
│   ├── Media
│   ├── appdata
│   ├── domains
│   ├── isos
│   └── system
├── disk2
│   └── Media
├── disk3
│   └── Media
├── disk4
│   ├── Downloads
│   ├── Media
│   └── appdata
├── disk5
├── disk6
├── disks
│   └── MTD3SEA
└── user
    ├── Downloads
    ├── Media
    ├── appdata
    ├── domains
    ├── isos
    └── system

25 directories, 0 files

1 minute ago, sittingmongoose said:

So it shows when I use tree -L 2 /mnt/ but there is nothing when i use cloud commander or krusader to look there.

/mnt/
├── disk1
│   ├── Media
│   ├── appdata
│   ├── domains
│   ├── isos
│   └── system
├── disk2
│   └── Media
├── disk3
│   └── Media
├── disk4
│   ├── Downloads
│   ├── Media
│   └── appdata
├── disk5
├── disk6
├── disks
│   └── MTD3SEA
└── user
    ├── Downloads
    ├── Media
    ├── appdata
    ├── domains
    ├── isos
    └── system

25 directories, 0 files

OK, well that's a whole different issue and you should post in the support thread for krusader or cloud commander then, along with your docker run command. Essentially you're looking in the wrong place, but without a docker run command, nobody can tell you where you should be looking.

Support threads can be found in community applications or by clicking the link displayed when you click the docker icon in the Unraid webui.  Docker run command can be found by looking at the docker FAQ or by the link in my signature (you may need to turn on signatures in your forum settings)

Thank you!  I figured it out.  I went into the docker setting and found it was mounted ahead of the mnt folder.  Thank you!

4 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

OK, well that's a whole different issue and you should post in the support thread for krusader or cloud commander then, along with your docker run command. Essentially you're looking in the wrong place, but without a docker run command, nobody can tell you where you should be looking.

Support threads can be found in community applications or by clicking the link displayed when you click the docker icon in the Unraid webui.  Docker run command can be found by looking at the docker FAQ or by the link in my signature (you may need to turn on signatures in your forum settings)

/mnt/
├── disk1
│   ├── Media
│   ├── appdata
│   ├── domains
│   ├── isos
│   └── system
├── disk2
│   └── Media
├── disk3
│   └── Media
├── disk4
│   ├── Downloads
│   ├── Media
│   └── appdata
├── disk5
├── disk6
├── disks
│   └── MTD3SEA
└── user
    ├── Downloads
    ├── Media
    ├── appdata
    ├── domains
    ├── isos
    └── system

25 directories, 0 files

• 2 years later...

I was interested in the same thing.  I don't know how to "setup host paths of Unraid to see them in krusader".  

In krusader my user shares show up in "media" and do not show in "mnt".  I guess cause I did this container setup for Krusader:

image.png.c4ef5d4e47c77b913075e75d9d961b86.png

I tried to follow spaceinvader video.  I don't know if I did it right.  Probably the wrong place to post this. 

I was trying to see the folder "mnt/cache/appdata/binhex-sonarr"  like the way I see folders in Windows.  And same for "mnt/user/Downloads".  

Edited by xrqp
to add screenshot.

@xrqp,  Edit this this variable:

image.png.7f238b39d1341ee1921be657d3bb061a.png

Change the 'Host Path' from   /mnt/user    to    /mnt  

That will point the    /media    directory for Krusader file structure to   /mnt    directory in the Unraid file structure.    (Sounds complex but remember that Krusader is essentially running in a separate Linux VM inside of Docker.)

Edited by Frank1940
10 minutes ago, xrqp said:

Thanks!  

Why do they use the word "media"?  I though it was referring to media like movies and music and tv shows.  Does it mean media, like disk media, and ssd ( physical data storage devices)?  

It's an arbitrary word. You could mount the host folders to a folder inside krusader called "rabbits" and when you looked in krusader your mapped content would be in the /rabbits folder.

@xrqp, now that you h ave make this change, let me caution (perhaps too weak a word!!!) you, Never, NEVER copy between a user share and a physical disk (or vice verse).  (Using  /mnt as the mount piont will expose the physical disks where  /mnt/user will not)!  If you do copy between them a user share and a physical disk, you will eventually lose data!!!   You can read more about that here:

Basically, you will eventually copy a file onto itself which Linux will normally try to prevent but in this case, it does not realize that it is doing it.

Edited by Frank1940

Thanks for the concern and caution.  What a great and kind community.  I am aware of that caution. 

It was interesting that in Krusader,

• Root/media shows all my physical disks, and logical user shares, and cache drive. 
  • Root/mnt there is nothing (which puzzles me).

Krusader help told me to use "Edit - Calculate occupied space" to see the amount of bytes in folders, so I was able to solve a problem with an unexpected full cache, and I could see what caused it and so now I know how to fix it.  Excellent.  I assume this is one of the best ways to browse the cache drive. 

It is also interesting that Krusader shows all kinds of folders that are strange to me, and I never see otherwise .  Brings up many questions in my mind, but I assume it is not urgent for me to understand.  I fairly understand all the folders in Root/media.  

1 hour ago, xrqp said:
  • Root/media shows all my physical disks, and logical user shares, and cache drive. 
  • Root/mnt there is nothing (which puzzles me).

You need to realize (in simple terms) that Krusader is running in a VM and that when you looked at the directory  /mnt in the root of Krusader, you are looking at the folder that is actually a directory of that VM.  (Of course, there are no physical disks assigned to that VM!)   If you look carefully at that 'Root', you will find another directory named 'media'.   The contents of that directory is actually pointed back to the /mnt (or /mnt/media in the original Krusader configuration) directory of the Host machine which is the OS that is running Unraid.  Thus, that 'media' directory is showing you all of the physical disk, cache drive and logical shares.

I know this seems complex but let's look at the edit page for that 'Host path 2'.

image.png.754b68de199613eb57b1c349344b7caf.png

Notice is says, 'Host Path:' for that variable.  That is a path on the host machine (which of course, is Unraid) for the Krusader Docker.  If you look at the 'Container Path:', that is a path to a directory on the Docker.  It is assigned a variable name of 'media' but as @jonathanm said, it could just as easily been called 'rabbits' by changing the name in the Container Path!   🤣  Then all of your physical disks, cache drive and logical shares would be inside of the rabbits folder.

Edited by Frank1940

Great explanation. I had not thought to treat Krusader like a VM or container.   I understand it now, and i can see how to figure out things on my own better now. 

I was interested to see yours shows the "default value" is "/mnt/user".  Mine did not show it.  But then i toggled the basic view to advanced view, and then it showed it.  Thanks!

Edited by xrqp
  • 3 years later...