unRaid Plex Server

oko2708

Hello,

I have been looking to upgrade from my existing Synology NAS for a while now and unRaid seems to best fit my needs as it allows for flexible array expansion. I've put together a build and would like some feedback from you guys.

The main purpose of the server would be to serve and transcode plex mediastreams. I want to be able to transcode at least two 4k streams at once without problems.

I would also like to be able to run a minecraft server for about 5 people and I may start experimenting with VM for school related projects. (Nothing fancy that needs to run 24/7 though)

I also want an SSD for storing my Plex metadata to improve loading speeds in the GUI and I would like to be fairly power efficient.

So this is what I've come up with:

CPU: Intel Core i5-8600 Tray

Motherboard: MSI H310I Pro

Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Zwart

CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 PCGH Edition

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK8GX4M1D3000C16

PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 10 CM 400W

SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (M.2)

HDD: 2x 8TB WD REDs will be pulled from the old system

The budget is around 750 euros

Do these components make sense together and will this systeem be sufficient for my needs?

I am also debating purchasing an i7-8700 instead of an i5-8600 to be more futureproof or is this overkill?

Edited by oko2708

Hi -

Given your desire for this box to do multiple things at the same time, you'd probably benefit from the hyperthreaded Core i7.  be quiet power supplies aren't known for having a single 12v rail, but I can't tell what this model has.  A single 12v rail is preferred but not strictly required.

I would get the most CPU you can afford, so yes, a core i7 would be a better choice, especially with your desire to be able to transcode two 4k streams and anything else in the future. I am a snob when it comes to power supplies and only buy Seasonic, IMO the PS is one of the most important parts of any build, no reason to cheap out on it and might as well buy the best, but Corsair, Gigabyte, EVGA are ok too,  otherwise your build looks good to go.

If you want bang for your buck have you considered Ryzen 5 2600? Matches with a x470 or and updated bios x370 if you want hardware passthrough VMs with full GPU support. I’ve built 2 for friends and have a 2700 myself. The tweaks for Ryzen are pretty much down to one option called zen-states. Costs about the same as the 8600K with 12 threads instead of 6. Not as fast ghz wise but that’s the trade off. 

18 hours ago, oko2708 said:

why would a single rail be preferred?

You've already switched power supplies, but here's the thinking.  If you have two rails coming off your power supply, you need to manually balance what you connect to each rail - i.e., drives 1, 2, and 3 on the first rail, drives 4, 5, and 6 on the second rail, etc.  Each rail has a maximum power draw.  In your case this isn't very relevant - you're only planning on a couple of drives and an SSD.  But you can see that in a larger system it would be nice not to worry about that.