Dedicated GPU vs Integrated GPU for VM's

crazykidguy

I've had my box for about a year and I've got Windows 10 set up on a VM, doing mostly browsing/non-intensive development work. I set up the Windows 10 VM using spaceinvader's very popular video series. However I've noticed that the aesthetics/ general feel of the usage experience is very laggy + choppy. When I see other VM's running on unRaid, it seems to be butter smooth and indistinguishable from just a regular PC build. I'm relying solely on my integrated graphics on the Xeon E3-1245 v5 with the P530 integrated graphics for my VM. 

My question is, could using an iGPU vs a dedicated GPU be a cause for that big of difference in usage experience? The choppiness I'm talking about just from dragging windows around or scrolling in <5 tabs in Chrome on the VM. I'm not sure if it's this is a GPU issue or an issue with how I set up the VM itself. 

I have been using the RDP built into Windows to connect. I did a bit of research and realized RDP may not be able to deliver the smoothest experience and graphics performance but I'm only expecting a smooth user-experience and not trying to run games here. 

Are there other RDP clients I can try that may give better results than the built-in Windows one? I've tried splashtop but I think I'm running into the black-screen issue because I'm only using an iGPU instead of a dedicated GPU. Tried installing mirrordrivers and still no screen.

My ultimate goal is for this VM to accessible via a dummy terminal or low-powered HTPC for simple media consumption/web browsing without plugging anything into the server.

Edit: I'd also add that the windows RDP connection is currently ran through ethernet to the VM itself so I don't think it's a connection/speed issue. 

Edited by crazykidguy

Yes, this is exactly what I have run into with RDP. It's good, but not perfect. Totally depends on your expectations. If you want buttery smooth, you need to do pass through graphics (dedicated or igpu) and run USB and HDMI cables directly to your unRaid box. I am living with the RDP issues as for me direct cabling USB and HDMI are a non starter.

I haven't found any remote solutions better than RDP.

• 2 weeks later...

RDP is a proprietary microsoft protocol. You can find applications that utilize it.. but if you want to create your own you have to license it from Microsoft. AFAIK no-one has done so. 

Maybe you should simply try reducing the resolution and see if that helps. 

In the RDP window, click "show settings" - Screen and adjust the resolution from there. See if that performs better. 

18 minutes ago, Froberg said:

RDP is a proprietary microsoft protocol. You can find applications that utilize it.. but if you want to create your own you have to license it from Microsoft. AFAIK no-one has done so. 

Maybe you should simply try reducing the resolution and see if that helps. 

In the RDP window, click "show settings" - Screen and adjust the resolution from there. See if that performs better. 

This is an example of a free software using RDP:

http://www.freerdp.com/

And here is a link to RDP specifications from Microsoft:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc240445.aspx

6 minutes ago, Froberg said:

I just assumed he was using RDP in Windows, not from unix. There are plenty of unix options, I doubt they're licensed by Microsoft most of the time though. 

I don't think you need to pay for the use of RDP. It's part of the Open Specifications and I think any patents might also fall under the Patent Promises program. But anyone wanting to make a commercial RDP client should obviously contact Microsoft to make sure.

Here is a free RDP client for Windows:

https://www.nomachine.com/download

And I think this one is also free:

https://www.parallels.com/products/ras/download/client/

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Froberg said:

I stand corrected, pwm. 

You should go ahead and own the wikipedia entry; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Protocol 

"Microsoft requires third-party implementations to license the relevant RDP patents.[40] As of February 2014, the extent to which open-source clients meet this requirement remains unknown."

Just note that Microsoft has a number of patents you can license for free. So even when patents are involved, you don't always need to pay anything. And this is possible for both commercial and open-source products. But Microsoft has managed to make the situation so complicated that they have to recommend users to contact them for formal answers:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecifications/dn750984

"please contact the IP Licensing Team"

The problem comes from RDP involving multiple patents where an RDP client doesn't need coverage of all - and it isn't obvious which patents are needed.

You have one patent for handling of user state of remote desktops in a cloud.

And another patent for secure sessions.

A third for handling transparency in a remote desktop.

A fourth for double-buffering when doing remote desktop sharing.

Different RDP clients may have different patent needs, and Microsoft needs to help out with which patents are relating to the Patent Promises program and which patents are not. And that is probably also why the wikipedia page can't know the actual state for different clients.

• Upvote 1