unRaid overkill for my needs?

thewinger

Hi, tomorrow I will receive my first build and searching through internet I found about unRaid.

The purpose of the build is to serve as a gaming machine (mostly Fortnite 1080p 60FPS and Monsster Hunter World) and a Torrent + Plex Server Machine (I'm the only user so 1 stream at most and never at the same time as gaming. I want to access from local network or from outside).

My initial idea was to install Win10 as host and an Ubuntu VM with Atomic Toolkit, but then I came accross UnRaid and I think it would help.

What else do I need? Second SSD or HDD? more RAM?

This is my build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card
Case Fractal Design - Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-15 04:41 EDT-0400

Hi -

You'd need at least one HD to assign to the array - unRAID fundamentally has its roots in being a NAS.  Also you'd need more RAM - lots more RAM.  unRAID and some Dockers can run in 8GB but you need more memory for VM overhead and your Windows VM.  I'd suggest 16GB as a starting point.

Be aware that the b350 board doesn’t have extra slots. So with this in mind if you have issues with Gpu passthrough for a single card you can’t pop in another card as the unraid OS one. Also why are you going with the 2600X vs 2600? Lower tdp and overclockable. So if you go with an arc form factor to meet the video card needs of a second card you’ll have to change your case too. 

For what I have read more I would need at least 8Gbs more of RAM and more storage, also a second GPU (the Asrock AB350M Pro4 has 2 PCIe slots). I think for now I will go with Windows Bare Metal and a Linux VM with Atomic Toolkit and once I buy more RAM, storage and a second cheap GPU I will then move to unRAID.

@tdallen  @phbigred thank you both for your answers!

Nah more for understanding that it’s 2.0. So current gpus are nearing the throughput, next gen may exceed. You can also run a gpu off a 1x slot but you’d not want to game on it. GPUs are backwards compatible. An 8x PCI-E 3.0 slot = 16x PCI-E 2.0 approximately. ?

Edited by phbigred