Precleared 6tb drive

bobcooper79

I have upgraded my Tower parity drive from a 2tb drive with a new WD Red 6tb parity drive.  I then removed an older 2tb (disk 2) from bay 2 and replaced the drive with another new red wd 6tb to run a preclear step.  I ran the preclear process and it finished successfully today.  I then removed the precleared drive from bay 2 and placed the 2tb old drive back.  Now when I restart the array the system does not find the previous data drive (2tB) and when I stop the array and place the 6TB back it does not recognize it either?  How can I get the system to recognize either of the drives again?

Wait, what?

When you say bay 1, are you are referring to the physical connection? First you say you put a new drive in bay 1, then removed it from bay 2?

4 minutes ago, bobcooper79 said:

removed an older 2tb (disk 2) from bay 1 and replaced the drive with another new red wd 6tb to run a preclear step.  I ran the preclear process and it finished successfully today.  I then removed the precleared drive from bay 2

I'm very confused. Perhaps describing your hardware in detail, a screenshot of the main page of the GUI, and a diagnostic zip file take with all the drives you wish to use physically connected would help.

So is it true that you don't yet have any data on the server in the first screenshot? If that is the case, then just go to Tools - New Config and it will let you assign any disk to any slot. Then start the array and build parity.

Once you do have data, please ask on the forum before making any other configuration changes, instead of asking after you get into a place where you don't know how to proceed.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

So is it true that you don't yet have any data on the server in the first screenshot? If that is the case, then just go to Tools - New Config and it will let you assign any disk to any slot. Then start the array and build parity.

I have the parity drive built. It took 2 days to run through preclear and then update the parity.  I then replaced data disk 2 with another 6tb wd red and it took 2 days to preclear.  At this point I would be happy to just have the system recognize the 6TB drive I had precleared.  Did removing the freshly precleared 6 tb drive before another step now make it such that the system cannot recognize it?

1 hour ago, bobcooper79 said:

is it true that you don't yet have any data on the server in the first screenshot? If that is the case, then just go to Tools - New Config and it will let you assign any disk to any slot. Then start the array and build parity.

If you don't have any data then just do what I said above. The rest of the details are irrelevant.

Another possibility would be New Config but instead of building parity do a correcting parity check, but if it turns out there are a lot of parity errors that would actually take longer. The reason I suggested rebuilding parity is because I'm not certain from your description if parity is still valid.

I did!  The fact that I am not able to mount the 6tb drive I precleared or the drive which I replaced to be able to mount it has me concerned.  I am new to the unraid as it was built by someone else and I had purchased the servers from them.

I have been trying to give myself a crash course in unraid over the past week and thought I was making progress.  The Tower only has capacity for 12 drives. Below is what my rebuild now looks like.

I assume I am going to have to wait another 2 days for this to complete and then I will need to try and put in  6 tb. drive I precleared again

Very dejected at this point.

image.thumb.png.65a5fb730ace610fc0673bf0296b3c19.png

17 minutes ago, bobcooper79 said:

I assume I am going to have to wait another 2 days for this to complete and then I will need to try and put in  6 tb. drive I precleared again

Building 6TB parity shouldn't take that long. I do 6TB parity checks in less than 15 hours.

Why didn't you just put the 6TB in instead of the 2TB if that's what you wanted. 

2 hours ago, trurl said:

New Config and it will let you assign any disk to any slot.

In fact, just stop it and do New Config with the 6TB instead of the 2TB and rebuild parity.

I believe I followed the instructions from the forum to do the preclear process.  However after successfully replacing the parity drive with the 6tb driver as shown in the screen print.  It as after that when I replaced the 2tb drive from bay 2 with the 6tb drive in order to mount it and run preclear.  I have attached the successful preclear log of that new data drive  for your review.

Disk Drive preclear results Disk 3.docx

15 minutes ago, bobcooper79 said:

No it did not allow me to recognize the newly precleared disk or the 2tb disk that I had removed because I only have 12 bays.  Which was the original start of this Topic.

This does not make any sense as a response to the post I made just above it.

19 minutes ago, trurl said:

Why didn't you just put the 6TB in instead of the 2TB if that's what you wanted. 

In fact, just stop it and do New Config with the 6TB instead of the 2TB and rebuild parity.

Do you want the 6TB in slot2 or not?

New Config will let you assign any disk to any slot. Try it again.

Stop the array. Go to Tools - New Config. Retain ALL. Then before starting the array, assign the 6TB in place of the 2TB in slot 2. Then start the array and rebuild parity.

If you try it just like that and you think it doesn't work then you are not doing it right.

Just now, bobcooper79 said:

I am not able to mount the 6tb drive.

If the 6TB was cleared, then it won't have a filesystem. You will have to check the box to format it before it can be mounted.

You must have done this to the other drives you already have added or they wouldn't be mountable either.

As stated in the original post.  I replace the drive in the physical machines 2nd bay which turned out to be identified as data disc 2 with a 6tb drive.  I then ran the preclear process and when the process completed I stopped the array and then put the original 2 tb drive back in .  The reason being I wanted the new data drive to be data disc 1 in the array (I am anal in that way).  When I went to replace the 6 tb with the previous 2tb and start the array the system did not mount or recognize the original 2 tb drive.  When I stopped the array and placed the just precleared 6 tb drive and started the array, the system did not mont or recognize the 6tb drive.

6 minutes ago, bobcooper79 said:

I replace the drive in the physical machines 2nd bay which turned out to be identified as data disc 2 with a 6tb drive.  I then ran the preclear process and when the process completed I stopped the array and then put the original 2 tb drive back in . 

This part doesn't make sense. Putting a disk in, regardless of the physical bay or port or any other hardware designation, does NOT make it data disk 2. You have to assign a disk to a slot before it is a data disk in the assigned slot. And you can't preclear a disk that has already been assigned. So I think you are probably not fully remembering all the details of what you have done.

8 minutes ago, bobcooper79 said:

How can I get the precleared 6 tb in the state to be formatted?

If you really want it in slot1, New Config and assign it there and assign any other disk to whatever slot you want.

19 minutes ago, trurl said:

New Config will let you assign any disk to any slot.

Then when you go to Start the array, check the box to Format any disks that haven't been formatted. And don't check the box saying parity is valid because it isn't. Then push the Start button.

Archived