Precleared 6tb drive

bobcooper79

Try it this way.

First, shutdown and check the connections for each disk. It could be that a bad connection is the reason you can't see those disks.

Then, go to Tools - New Config - Retain NONE and assign each disk to each slot using the screenshots you have already posted as a guide, making any changes you want such as assigning that 6TB disk to slot1.

I just glanced through your diagnostics, and think I may have an answer. It appears that you have been attempting to do all this hardware rearranging with the machine powered up and running. Unraid does support hot swap to some degree, but only if the underlying hardware does as well. You have a very old system, and at least some of your SATA ports are running in IDE mode which to my knowledge does NOT support hot swap, and I don't know for sure if those particular ports even support greater than 2+ TB drives.

Try this, and nothing more for the moment. Power down the box. Put all the drives you intend to use in their final locations. Boot up the box. DO NOT START THE ARRAY. Download and post diagnostics.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2018 at 11:22 PM, trurl said:

Try it this way.

First, shutdown and check the connections for each disk. It could be that a bad connection is the reason you can't see those disks.

Then, go to Tools - New Config - Retain NONE and assign each disk to each slot using the screenshots you have already posted as a guide, making any changes you want such as assigning that 6TB disk to slot1.

Hi Trurl,

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I have been on vacation and have now gotten things up and running.  It took a bit but I got the Docker installed and have been trying to use Krusader to copy files from my other unraid server.  I am not comfortable with Krusader yet but attempting to learn it. I have copied some of the files to Disk 1 but I think I need to set up some new shares to facilitate using the entire array.

image.thumb.png.747ec3455bd45352087e8443cf6699a9.png

image.thumb.png.e2aacc5262cb7ae85dd864b650c34500.png

image.thumb.png.597927664d469cb47aea2e130be96e3a.png

tower-diagnostics-20180828-1418.zip

On 8/17/2018 at 5:56 AM, jonathanm said:

I just glanced through your diagnostics, and think I may have an answer. It appears that you have been attempting to do all this hardware rearranging with the machine powered up and running. Unraid does support hot swap to some degree, but only if the underlying hardware does as well. You have a very old system, and at least some of your SATA ports are running in IDE mode which to my knowledge does NOT support hot swap, and I don't know for sure if those particular ports even support greater than 2+ TB drives.

Try this, and nothing more for the moment. Power down the box. Put all the drives you intend to use in their final locations. Boot up the box. DO NOT START THE ARRAY. Download and post diagnostics.

Hi Jonathanm,

You are correct that I was thinking it would handle hot swap.  It was after a complete shutdown and power up that the 11th disk became readable (no disrespect on your instructions I had not read your post with the instructions until after) .  I am now trying to learn the Krusader docker tool as I mentioned in the post to Trurl.  Could use some guidance there.  Thanks!

Archived