Running unraid server

So, is it possible to run unraidos server and use the pc as a vm on one pc? Would i require two pc’s for this?

I would really like to know. I’ve also seen that user shares arent displaying for me on the shares tab, they arent there when i look into //TOWER

In the //TOWER network i only see a folder called flash which is the unraid server. Is there any fix for this?

Thanks, 

xBreaders

7 minutes ago, xBreaders said:

So, is it possible to run unraidos server and use the pc as a vm on one pc? Would i require two pc’s for this?

Your question is very unclear. If you are asking whether or not you can run some other OS as a VM under unRAID then the answer is yes.

8 minutes ago, xBreaders said:

I’ve also seen that user shares arent displaying for me on the shares tab, they arent there when i look into //TOWER

In the //TOWER network i only see a folder called flash which is the unraid server. Is there any fix for this?

Have you started the array? User shares don't exist until the array is started.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, trurl said:

Your question is very unclear. If you are asking whether or not you can run some other OS as a VM under unRAID then the answer is yes.

Have you started the array? User shares don't exist until the array is started.

I started the array indeed. Whenever i create a user share it just doesnt appear anywhere. Also, i was asking if i could host my unraid server on the same pc that i will use for making a vm out of it.

note: I also didn’t format my disks yet because im still looking for the user shares as i need to install windows on my vm

Edited by xBreaders
Just now, a7x88 said:

I think you have that the wrong way round.

You have a PC

You install unraid as the base OS

You then install windows/your OS of choice as a VM.

You don't install windows as the base OS and then run unraid as a VM on it

Yes, but does the unraid server keep running when im using the pc for the vm?

Just now, jonathanm said:

I strongly suggest watching some of gridrunner's youtube videos. Here is a link to one that covers the very basics of unraid.

Thanks for the recommendation although my user sharing problem still isnt quite solved.

Edited by xBreaders

Yes. The host OS, in this case Unraid, boots directly onto your hardware and does not depend on your VMs. Once booted up, it will automatically (if checked to do so) start your VMs up, which can then be accessed however you see fit. Unraid continues to operate as normal whether the VMs are running or not.

Your VMs on the other hand do rely on unraid running. So if you stop the array, any VMs hosted on that array will stop. The VMs also cannot run if the host OS (unraid) doesnt start.

32 minutes ago, MightEMatt said:

Yes. The host OS, in this case Unraid, boots directly onto your hardware and does not depend on your VMs. Once booted up, it will automatically (if checked to do so) start your VMs up, which can then be accessed however you see fit. Unraid continues to operate as normal whether the VMs are running or not.

Your VMs on the other hand do rely on unraid running. So if you stop the array, any VMs hosted on that array will stop. The VMs also cannot run if the host OS (unraid) doesnt start.

So i can just power up a vm on the same pc i run unraid on or would i require a second pc that hosts unraid while i use the other one as vm

Edited by xBreaders
7 minutes ago, xBreaders said:

So i can just power up a vm on the same pc i run unraid on or would i require a second pc that hosts unraid while i use the other one as vm

A VM (Virtual Machine) by definition requires a host OS. Theres no reason not to use unraid as opposed to some other host OS. What are you planning on doing on this VM?

26 minutes ago, xBreaders said:

You seem to have some confusion about some of the terminology. unRAID is the Host. The Host can run multiple VMs as Guests.

Here is a google search that might help clear some of this up for you:

https://goo.gl/RhtP5P